SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    35 years of safe drinking water theory shot 2 Hell ( long by bendable standards)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 years of safe drinking water theory shot 2 Hell ( long by bendable standards) Login/Join 
posted
some of you remember me expounding the virtues of my consuming distilled water , by the gallon jug , for the last 8 or 9 years.

because "you know what is in it" is what I have been claiming.

"you don't know what is in Spring, tap, purified or baby water" was my deceleration.

some said that since the distilled had no taste , they could not abide .

well it turns out that some genius , somewhere started putting bottled water under a microscope,
and they are saying that the plastic bottles that they use put micro particulates of the plastic in too the water they are selling as drinking water.
Mad

the news stories did not mention the p.p.m. of plastic particulates , or which bottles they chose to include in the study.

they pictured the clear bottles 12 oz. and 15 oz. bottles.

not my foggy 1 gallon bottles

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54672 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We are all full of plastic. We have all been eating and drinking out of plastic containers for decades.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Distilled water leaches out more plastic than other types of water.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6142 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sea salt is full of plastic particles as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't most types of plastics pretty inert? I doubt these micro particles are small enough to be directly absorbed into your blood stream and I highly doubt that the few hours they're in your stomach will dissolve them so what you end up with is a little extra 'roughage' in your diet.

What was the main concern of the researcher other than the health food crazies freaking out about all forms of plastic?

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Having plastic in the body can be a benefit in some cases I believe. It’s the fluoride in the water that you gotta worry about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It’s the fluoride in the water that you gotta worry about.

That, and the mind-control chemicals...

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2705 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of evidence that drinking distilled water isn't good for you long term. Among these are that its somewhat on the acidic side, plus it may cause electrolyte imbalances as it contains none of the minerals we routinely get from water. People desiring pure drinking water are recommended to use reverse osmosis, not distillation.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Having plastic in the body can be a benefit in some cases I believe.....

Yes, I've seen quite a few examples among the 30 something crowd.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the plastic water bottle gets hot..from sitting in a hot car, do not drink the water from it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So why don't they test milk and other liquids? Like pop and anything else that comes in plastic bottles? God forbid even beer? Do they test for glass in glass bottles and aluminum in the cans?

I take it this is just another scare tactic. I've even been warned not to fill my plastic bottle with water after I've consumed it. Not sure why.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard from a friend that it causes problems with spelling. I don't believe it.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Wait.
You mean we aren t all of us buying Fiji water ???

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15905 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1409199/

http://naturalsociety.com/7-na...he-plastic-chemical/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/hea...ers/bpa/faq-20058331

Drink up!

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I get my drinking water from rusty galvanized pipes, right from the tap. You ought to see what the inside of those pipes are like.

On occasion, I’ve been known to drink right from a stream while hiking. Growing up, we often caught the cows after they broke through the fence and were pissing right on top of our spring collection field. Once as a staff member at a Boy Scout camp, I fished a dead raccoon out of the camp’s water tower. Been there about a week.

On the upside, my immune system kicks ass. I never really get sick. I’m worried bottled water might kill me. I’ve never built up any resistance to clean water. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am too lazy to dig up the references again, but I studied into distilled water thing a while back and there were definite statistical correlations with drinking hard, mineral-filled water and health. Our bodies actually need and use the minerals in water, Drinking distilled water is speculated to dilute or even leach the minerals out of your body, leading to a variety of health problems.
Remember this is all on a statistical basis.

It says nothing about plastic contamination. That can't be good in any water.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
There's a lot of evidence that drinking distilled water isn't good for you long term. Among these are that its somewhat on the acidic side, plus it may cause electrolyte imbalances as it contains none of the minerals we routinely get from water. People desiring pure drinking water are recommended to use reverse osmosis, not distillation.

RO is pretty much going to remove all the healthy stuff in water as well. Sure you can drink it, but it typically needs to be built back up with mineral additions if you are going to be using it for most purposes.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to be living in a country where the tap water is, for the most part, both safe and relatively tasty. When I was growing up, one did not see people carrying around plastic bottles of water and drinking from them all the time. If one was thirsty, one either got a glass of water from the tap or from a drinking fountain (some called it a "bubbler"). No one worried all the time about dying of dehydration--one simply drank when thirsty. This fanaticism about always having water on your person is way overblown. (On a hike, or auto trip--yeah; around town--nope.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post