SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time. Login/Join 
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
How funny, I'm 52 and am watching it for the first time in my life at this very moment.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Congrats! It's a great movie. If you haven't already seen it check out the original Miracle on 34th Street.

Are there like 2 or 3 versions of "Miracle"? I don't think I've ever seen the original - thank you for the great suggestion.

To me there's only 1 worth watching and that is the 1947 original. Staring Maureen O'Hara, Edmund Gwenn, John Payne and a very young Natalie Wood. It was nominated for 8 Oscars including Best Picture, and won 3 including Gwenn's Best Actor in a Supporting Role award.

I can't recommend it high enough. Watch it. You can thank me later.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read an article that opined that Stewart’s portrayal, in It’s a wonderful Life, might have been enhanced by the actor’s PTSD. He was suffering from depressive episodes during filming, as well as other symptoms.

His military service as a B24 pilot was incredible. On one mission a major part of his group was shot down.

His story was incredible. I suggest reading it. There are accounts online.

He was one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood. When war broke out, he was rejected from service for being too skinny. Went on an eating binge and took flying lessons. Finally got in as a private. Rejected the idea of being a coddled celeb. Applied for combat flight training. rejected but persisted. Finally admitted and after training, lobbied for combat. Persisted. Finally assigned to European Theatre.

Rose through the ranks. They found him to be an inspiring and excellent leader and pilot. Cool under fire.

Flew his quota of combat missions. His group took massive losses.

Stayed in Army Air Corp, later Air Force reserve. Rose to Brig General. Flew B-52s. Missions in Korea and one observation flight over Hanoi in Vietnam.

Super Gutsy Patriot. Born leader.

Can you imagine any current young highest paid actor today putting his career behind him to fight for his country? Maybe the Marine Adam Driver but not sure if highest paid.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cuttndry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

This right here. Every time I watch this film, I end up in tears. I make a point to watch it every New Year's Eve, since they sing "Auld Lang Sine."

What a beautiful expression of the simple fact that life is measured by many yardsticks, and that no impact one person makes on another is ever a waste of energy. You would be hard-pressed to find a message this powerful in any modern Hollywood film.

Posts: 15 | Location: OH | Registered: December 28, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cuttndry:
This right here. Every time I watch this film, I end up in tears.

I did as well. Welcome to the Forum, by the way!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
My favorite movie.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I agree. I never saw it until my 40's. Glad I did.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What always choked me up, the line "Every man on that transport died. Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry." What I always called the kick in the gut moment.

I love it. Back before (Turner?) bought it up, every dang station on TV would show it at some point come Christmas. My "holiday tradition" became watching it as many times as I could, any time I caught it on. I swear I watched it (or wherever I caught it from) as many as 11 times one year.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
It is a great movie.
What gets me is not so much the money at the end of the movie but the acknowledgement of the sacrifice George made for the town of Bedford Falls.

Another good Christmas movie is: "It Happened on Fifth Avenue."

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3869 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
I'm certain that Clarence was lying just to get his wings about what the alternate world would be like without George. You mean to tell me that if George wasn't born, no one else would go after young Donna Reed and she would become a spinster because he's the only guy in the entire area that found her hot? I call B.S. on that, I say!

The point wasn't that no one would want Mary. Sam Wainwright did. But Mary didn't want Sam Wainwright. Mary only wanted George.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
It’s my favorite movie, period. Such a great story and very well-acted.

We’ve watched it every year for our 36 year marriage. B&W is best, but we also own the colorized version.

Donna Reed and Gloria Grahame- WOWZA!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post