SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric eel vs. Caiman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric eel vs. Caiman Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
a little bit of animal science and interesting history...now, if we could just plug a couple of these bad boys into an electric vehicle we could forget all this battery nonsense. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuHuKvhG88U

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Note to self: no more skinny-dipping in Venezuelan swamps! Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The EEEV.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeremy Wade/River Monsters did an episode on these electric eels and found a muddy pool of them at the end of the program (which I think was also shown on this clip). It was a very interesting episode!

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm still reminded of the time when, as a kid, my family just moved into a new (to us) house on land surrounded by rolling hills and farm country, with nothing but dirt roads around us.

I met a couple boys from the area and we went on an adventure in some farm pastures. One boy pointed out the electric fence, and while I had never been around one, I knew enough not to touch it.

Then the other boy had the bright idea to pee on it, and there was no way I was going to do that...until I saw him do it and nothing happened immediately, so the other boy and I followed suit. 3 boys standing beside each other, peeing on an electric fence...I mean, what could go wrong? One moment we were all laughing and joking, the next moment we got zapped and found ourselves on our backs in the grass, tingling, and were covered in pee.

Turns out there was this thing where some electric fences were set up to pulse electric jolts rather than constantly on.

Never made that mistake again. Big Grin

I can't imagine what it must feel like to get zapped by one of those electric eels while standing in the water.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
"The electric catfish" just doesn't have the same shock value.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how they seem to snuggle right up to you to deliver the best jolt.
"Oh look. This eel is being friendly and cuddly... Ahhhh!

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post