SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago: Would-be robber fatally shot by concealed-carry license holder on West Side
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago: Would-be robber fatally shot by concealed-carry license holder on West Side Login/Join 
posted
https://chicago.suntimes.com/c...der-west-side-police

Would-be robber fatally shot by concealed-carry license holder on West Side: police

A man walked into a store, pulled out a gun and demanded property when he was shot in the chest by an employee, police said.

By Sun-Times Wire Dec 26, 2020, 7:46pm CST

A man was shot and killed while trying to commit a robbery Saturday on the West Side, police said.

He walked in to a store about 6:50 p.m. in the 3200 block of West Chicago Avenue, pulled out a gun and demanded property, according to Chicago police.

A store employee, a 29-year-old man, pulled out his own gun and fired shots at the robber, striking him in the chest, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The 29-year-old has a valid concealed-carry license, police said. Officers recovered his gun as well as the other man’s gun.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office hasn’t released details on the death.

Area Four detectives are investigating.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Good shoot. I hope he has a backup gun.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26450 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Well played.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I love a happy ending.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I love a happy ending.

Me 2.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Will he get his gun back, or will the system keep it?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wonder how big this news was in Chicago? A gang banger gunning down someone on the south side would probably be the first segment on the news. I wonder if this got any significant coverage. People hear when guns are used in crimes, but not so much when crimes are stopped by armed citizens.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

...People hear when guns are used in crimes, but not so much when crimes are stopped by armed citizens.

Which is exactly why I post these when I see them. Here are the two main papers, there were - naturally - other shootings, "only" six dead in Lori Lightfoot's Chicago.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/c...25-27-homicide-crime

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Trib mentions it. The Sun Times doesn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

...People hear when guns are used in crimes, but not so much when crimes are stopped by armed citizens.

Which is exactly why I post these when I see them. Here are the two main papers, there were - naturally - other shootings, "only" six dead in Lori Lightfoot's Chicago.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/c...25-27-homicide-crime

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
This took place on the "Wild West Side" of town a phrase the natives are more than proud to recite.
An area that is border line (by just a few blocks)of where the progressive Dems like to buy condo's and Apartments because it is up and coming lol.
The store clerk will be in more trouble with the gang that the robbers more than likely belong to.
Not being charged and getting his gun back are the least of his worries.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Will he get his gun back, or will the system keep it?
My guess is that the cops will keep the gun until the case is closed. Not sure what will happen after that in Chicago.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He’ll get his gun back after the case is closed.

Outside of that, just another day here in Chicago...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
armored, let us know when the news carries the story showing his grieving family telling everyone what a great person he was and shouldn't have been "executed" by some crazed gun nut who shouldn't have been allowed to take the law into his own hands.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I know I'm not journalist, but WTF kinda writing is that. I could find a half dozen middle schoolers who could write a better piece than this.

"A man walked into a store..." Black man, white man, asian man, hispanic man? You know damn well its in the police report.

"...pulled out a gun and demanded property..." What property? A TV? Liquor? Again, I'm sure its in the report.

"He walked into a store about 6:50 p.m. in the 3200 block of West Chicago Avenue..." What store? The store doesn't have a name? Bet that makes advertising a bitch. Roll Eyes

"...pulled out a gun and demanded property..." Again, what property?

"A store employee, a 29-year-old man...." Ah, the ambiguous "store employee" we know absolutely nothing else about. Roll Eyes

"Area Four detectives are investigating." Probably the most important sentence in the 'story". Permit or not, my bet the shooter is soon to be unemployed and likely charged given the area code of the crime.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
What do you say, CPD SIG? Charges or no charges. “Given the zip code”?

Best guess?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for the defender, hope he's got USCCA or, similar insurance.

Posts: 14674 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Awhh, thats a shame. A real shame.
In Chicago yet. Never would have guess'd that would happen in such a fine city.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Best guess?

No charges. He had a CCL, he's going to be ok. That's the one thing our States Attorney isn't really messing with- the people with CCL's.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Best guess?

No charges. He had a CCL, he's going to be ok. That's the one thing our States Attorney isn't really messing with- the people with CCL's.
That's good to hear.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post