SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman finds son’s lost baseball glove at thrift store 40 years later, 1100 miles away
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman finds son’s lost baseball glove at thrift store 40 years later, 1100 miles away Login/Join 
posted
I am confused here. George Carlin said it is after you die that you get back all the things you have lost.

WILLOUGHBY, Ohio -- A boy's lost baseball glove is found over a thousand miles away 40 years later.

The story begins at Todd Field in Willoughby four decades ago. Then 12-year-old Christopher Lisi was playing in a championship tournament, according to WJW.

"He says he remembers they took pictures and everything and he must have left his mitt at the ballpark at Todd Field in Willoughby," said Julie Anne Lisi, Christopher’s mother.

Christopher went back the next day in search of his mitt.

"We never really knew that he had lost it; he didn't share it with us,” said Julie Anne.

Christopher's mitt may not be unique, but it's one of a kind.

"I always put my kids’ names on the inside and outside of the glove,” Julie Anne said.

On Wednesday, Julie Anne paid a visit to a thrift store in Jupiter, Florida, a mere 1,100 miles away from Willoughby.

What she discovered is priceless.

"I made a tour around the shelves and everything just to see if I could find some treasures and on the bottom shelf sticking out was his name," Julie Anne said. "My legs got shaky and wobbly and my husband thought I was in trouble."

The missing glove had been found. The Lisis got it back for $1.49.

"To see your son’s name on a glove from miles away after 40 years, I just can't believe it," said Christopher’s father, Michael.

Christopher is now a football coach at Thomas Worthington High School near Columbus. He saw the glove for the first time on Wednesday.

"I took a picture of it and sent it to him right away when I found it and his words were, ‘buy it,’” Julie Anne said.

That glove is now headed to a Lisi trophy case where it will be the talk of the family for years to come.

LINK:https://wgntv.com/2018/08/31/woman-finds-sons-lost-baseball-glove-at-thrift-store-40-years-later-1100-miles-away/

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is one hell of an unlikely coincidence.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is one hell of an unlikely coincidence.

I agree, but do not see a link to a Go Fund me account. Who knows could be publicity hounds too!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
She should have kept it secret until his birthday, or Christmas. Would have made for a great surprise gift. Either way, very cool.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
She should have kept it secret until his birthday, or Christmas. Would have made for a great surprise gift. Either way, very cool.
I did something very similar for my nephew. He had left his Cub Scouts knife at our house many years ago. Upon his return from Iraq the wife and I boxed it up and sent it back.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I caught that too! "Willoughby", also famous as a place in the Twilight Zone! Must be a place where lost items come from or go to!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sacramento Johnson,

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Strangest one that ever happened to me, 1964, in 6th grade.

We had a test, forget what it was, but if and when we finished we were expected to read quietly at our desk and if we did not have anything to read we could go to a corner of the classroom, kid appropriate magazines and books. There was a bookcase of old schoolbooks also, guess it was to "look good" for visitors, parent teacher conferences, etc.

This day I went to the bookcase and pulled out a visually old schoolbook. A reader, copyright 1929. Don't know why I went to it but I did. Took it back to my desk and started flipping through it, saw some writing and doodles on some of the pages, one page in pencil was written "Flat Foot Floogie", even then I knew that was ancient.....

Amyway, flipped back to the front of the book where I saw my mother's name written with "6th" after it. She had gone to the same school system in the late 30's through 1944. I thought "now what do I do?"

Went to the teacher and explained what I had found. She told me to take it as some point those old books would be dumped, they were just taking up room. Though she knew it was special to me. I took it home that night and showed my mother. The look on her face of total shock. I found this book about a month or so after my great-grandmother had passed. My great grandmother was a very large part of my mother's life, in fact for most of those years from about 39 through 44 she lived with her and my "step" great grandfather.

I've wondered how I was led to this book that day. And yes, I still have it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

We had a test, forget what it was, but if and when we finished we were expected to read quietly at our desk and if we did not have anything to read we could go to a corner of the classroom, kid appropriate magazines and books. There was a bookcase of old schoolbooks also, guess it was to "look good" for visitors, parent teacher conferences, etc.

This day I went to the bookcase and pulled out a visually old schoolbook. A reader, copyright 1929. Don't know why I went to it but I did. Took it back to my desk and started flipping through it, saw some writing and doodles on some of the pages, one page in pencil was written "Flat Foot Floogie", even then I knew that was ancient.....

Amyway, flipped back to the front of the book where I saw my mother's name written with "6th" after it. She had gone to the same school system in the late 30's through 1944. I thought "now what do I do?"

Went to the teacher and explained what I had found. She told me to take it as some point those old books would be dumped, they were just taking up room. Though she knew it was special to me. I took it home that night and showed my mother. The look on her face of total shock. I found this book about a month or so after my great-grandmother had passed. My great grandmother was a very large part of my mother's life, in fact for most of those years from about 39 through 44 she lived with her and my "step" great grandfather.

"Leaders become great, not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others." -John Maxwell

Thanks for sharing that. Those kinds of things are special.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to ask the wife if she knew the kid. Pretty close to her age. She’s from Willoughby. I worked at the hospital there for many years. Wish I wouldn’t have gotten off the train. Lol

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I can imagine the look on your mother's face. That's something alright.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Reminds me a little of an old Paul Harvey Rest of the Story about the making of the Wizard of Oz movie. In a nutshell, they were having trouble finding a costume coat that would be right for the wizard. They finally located one in a thrift shop that looked perfect and fit the actor perfectly. One day during filming, the actor turned the pockets out and found the name of the original owner: Frank Baum. Supposedly they confirmed it with his wife or the tailor or something. Like that story, I really hope this one is true.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to go to the goodwill and see if they have my lost rain coat

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post