SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ranitidine side effects
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ranitidine side effects Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
another vote for pantaprozole.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
After three years on Nexium for GERD I weened myself off against my doctors wishes. I read about all the harmful effects of long time PPI usage and said hell no. Now I use Pepcid Complete once in awhile when I have a flair up.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ranitidine increases level of Metformin(if you are taking) and definitely causes insomnia. This information is available in various medical and endocrinology journals.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
For those that asked, other routine meds are chlorthalidone for BP and Atorvastatin for cholesterol.

But the smart thing for me to do is just go back to an adult diet and lose some weight. I have been suppressing the knowledge that using a pill to eat like a teenager was a bad idea at my age. TANSTAAFL is particularly apropos in this case...

Thanks for all the input.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15251 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Melatonin works great, no side effects that I can see.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now what? I’m almost 70. Had back pain since late teens. First surgery at 31. Took lots of asprin until Ibuprofin on market. Lots of this stuff to try to avoid opioids. A few years ago started having lots of stomach problems. Reflux and sometimes just pain. Gastro guy does scope both ends. Says lesions on colon and stomach lining in bad shape. Prob NSAIDS and cousins. Stop NSAIDS immediatly! Start proton pumps. Gastro probs went away and stay away as long as I stay with Prilosec. I am allowed one baby aspirin a day as reccommended by cardiologist for cardiovascular disease. So Prilosec is possibly bad long term? Now what?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Now what? I’m almost 70. Had back pain since late teens. First surgery at 31. Took lots of asprin until Ibuprofin on market. Lots of this stuff to try to avoid opioids. A few years ago started having lots of stomach problems. Reflux and sometimes just pain. Gastro guy does scope both ends. Says lesions on colon and stomach lining in bad shape. Prob NSAIDS and cousins. Stop NSAIDS immediatly! Start proton pumps. Gastro probs went away and stay away as long as I stay with Prilosec. I am allowed one baby aspirin a day as reccommended by cardiologist for cardiovascular disease. So Prilosec is possibly bad long term? Now what?

Talk to your PCP about concern re: Prilosec. It's possible you may be better served by one of the other meds with lesser potential for long term issues.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks RMD!

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is suggested that you take a B12, calcium and a magnesium supplement while taking PPI.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I did the Prilosec and Ranitidine thing for several years to control similar GI issues, but managed to recover. I rarely have any sort of issue these days, and if I do, a Tums or two will do the trick.

I wonder if my experience is common?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post