SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some advice/help here...bobcat or what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice/help here...bobcat or what? Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted
Checked my game cam this afternoon and found these on one of them. If that is a bobcat, then it is really big. I went back and measured that tree in the first photo and it was 2.5 feet on that tree where it's ears are. I don't know, I have seen bobcats back there but no wheres near this size. They say there are cougars in our area but I have never seen one.

What say you?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bobcat to me. Especially the first picture.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
bobcat......short tail is definitive...it’s a bobcat

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Seems the white on the ears is also common on bobs.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Bobcat it is then. I guess the body in the middle photo is what was making me scratch my head.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Bobcat it is then. I guess the body in the middle photo is what was making me scratch my head.

Look at the fur patern on the inside of the front leg... Bobcat.

Cute little fella... Go pet it Cool

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've seen many a bobcat in the wild, and that ain't one. Cougar is what I'd call it.

Tough to tell with those pics though as a long tail would be pretty definitive and I don't see one. Goofy looking bobcat if it is.

Shoot it and take some post-portem pics. Then we'd know for sure. Big Grin

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Cougars dont have bobbed tails and spotted legs. It's a bobcat.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I dunno that I know the real difference between a bobcat and a lynx. Have seen a lot of bobcats and a half dozen lions (or the same one a half dozen times, can’t be sure) here on the ranch. When we first bought the place there was a big bobcat (same size as our then 50# Aussie Shepherd). Would see him every day out squirreling. Most of the bobcats we’d see were smaller, maybe 25-35# at a guess.

The easiest way to tell them apart at a distance was how they behaved. A bobcat would flatten himselves on the ground, then if it was clear that didn’t fool you, he’d take off like a shot. The lions would just quietly watch and then stroll off like they really didn’t give a rip.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Hi kitty.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I have one mounted I killed many years ago and it looks like that

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Chupacabra Wink

That’s a bobcat alright

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The consensus is still bobcat. Smile

When I went back to measure that tree I had my dog stand next to that tree and he hit it in just about the same spot. Sam weighs about 55 pounds.

Would I shoot it if I saw it next month? Nah, probably not. I've mellowed out a lot in my old age.

Thanks again folks for your input.