SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pondering purchases and how the mind works.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pondering purchases and how the mind works. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I was thinking about buying a second weed whacker and even posted for recommendations. My budget was about $350. I struggled for weeks about spending the money. Finally my conclusion was I am lazy and I can spend the time changing heads on my current model rather than owning 2.

I struggled literally with the idea of not saving that money.

Then on Saturday I went out back to shoot a bit. Noticed I was low on 9mm. 5 minutes later a case was ordered at about $325 shipped. Didn’t ponder or struggle with that spending at all. I guess it similar to needing food shopping for the week.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get it when it comes to firearms and ammunition. Seems like ALOT takes a back seat when I'm in a groove with some rifle or whatever.
This week after getting another AR, I purchased a quad rail, optic, trigger, sling and weapon light. I'm glad I'm not married or have a girlfriend because I'd probably get shit about how I spend money sometimes on certain things.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I recently discovered a tool that would solve a lot of issues for me in metalworking… Always seeking flatness… read expensive.

Pondering, but I think I will eventually pull the trigger. These things are back ordered so I feel like I need to pull it sooner than later…. Ughhh.

Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I think we always KNOW whether a purchase is a need or a want. Sometimes we’re able to convince ourselves to save the money and other times we convince ourselves the expenditure is warranted.

I don’t need any of the guns I own but I bought them with way less hesitation than when I spend on much cheaper items.

I’ve rarely been disappointed in spending money on something. I’ve NEVER been disappointed saving money.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6345 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It’s easy for me: I’m broke so I can’t afford it Big Grin

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I recently discovered a tool that would solve a lot of issues for me in metalworking… Always seeking flatness… read expensive.

Pondering, but I think I will eventually pull the trigger. These things are back ordered so I feel like I need to pull it sooner than later…. Ughhh.

Smile

Your post in the weekend thread is what prompted this. I should have mentioned that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is the more I save, the more I see in my accounts, the more I want to add to that savings. Rather than saying to myself “You can afford that!” I just want a bigger number in savings. Maybe getting older and thinking retirement is affecting that.

These go to eleven.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’d say subconsciously you knew you were being a lazy ass, but trying to justify an expenditure. There is no labor substitute for 9mm, so it must be purchased.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Consumables get an easy pass in my spending consideration. If I use it up, then it is money well spent and I don't feel bad. For such things, I often keep an eye out for sales and such and try to get a good value where I can.

Everything else gets a heavy challenge. For it to take up space and lighten my wallet, it really must have a frequent use, provide convenience or comfort, save money, or make money.

Accordingly, I don't have little collectible figurines or toys like many people do, or any artwork that doesn't appreciate in value. If I had a man cave, it would be pretty boring.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Funny thing is the more I save, the more I see in my accounts, the more I want to add to that savings. Rather than saying to myself “You can afford that!” I just want a bigger number in savings. Maybe getting older and thinking retirement is affecting that.

And then one day when you're retired and realize you'll never spend anywhere near all the money you have, guess what?

You still want a bigger number in savings "just in case."

After you've spent a lifetime saving, it's extremely hard to turn it off.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've got some of the same tendencies. I can blow $50 in a restaurant on a meal without thinking twice, but trying to spend the same amount in the store where it would probably feed me 5 meals or more kills me. It's illogical, and I can cook pretty damn well so it's not that I just don't want to eat my own cooking.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sort of the opposite- while I don’t deny my wife the opportunity to spend money on whatever she wants ( she works hard and earns almost as much as I do anyway) and don’t blink an eye on household spending, or even being generous with friends or worthy causes, when I consider buying gun related stuff, I do angst over it.

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m in the almost the exact same boat. I had to buy a new angle grinder. I don’t want Harbor Freight stuff, so I bought a decent Milwaukee for $80.
I want two angle grinders as I am sick of swapping between the flappy disc and the cutoff wheel. I still haven’t been able to pull the trigger on the second grinder.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need a new burn barrel. Local farm and feed shop sells 55 gallon drums with one end removed and holes for air already made for like $30. Been putting it off for weeks. Part of it is the hassle of driving over and wrestling it into the back of the truck. But I’ll spend $850 on a new upper I didn’t know I needed When my NFA tax stamp came back much sooner than expected. it’s not the money. It’s the physical and psychological amount of pain and even more work I will need to do afterwards etc ( re: burn barrel). Funny how the kind works.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I've got some of the same tendencies. I can blow $50 in a restaurant on a meal without thinking twice, but trying to spend the same amount in the store where it would probably feed me 5 meals or more kills me. It's illogical, and I can cook pretty damn well so it's not that I just don't want to eat my own cooking.

This is me, exactly. I've turned the cost/value equation around to: This thing I want is about $50 (to $150). I'd spend that in a restaurant for one meal (or my wife and me for two meals with drinks, etc.), so why not buy it?

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang, I can't believe how much I spent on breakfast this morning...

Ooo, a new light to put on a shotgun that I don't have yet!

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
And then one day when you're retired and realize you'll never spend anywhere near all the money you have, guess what?

You still want a bigger number in savings "just in case."

After you've spent a lifetime saving, it's extremely hard to turn it off.

Yes it is!

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
When I'm considering a purchase for my own pleasure I can boarder on the psychotic. It took me a year and a half to buy a bike about twelve years ago. Countless visits to bike stores all along the Front Range. The wife started to make fun of it. Same when I was considering a watch. Not as long however. Jazzmaster or TSAR or Tissot. Never know what I'm going to get until the money leaves my wallet. It was the Marathon last time.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post