SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody here in the home inspection biz?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody here in the home inspection biz? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
May have a part-time employment opportunity in that line.

Curious about certification, licensing, bonding, liability insurance, that sort of thing.

My understanding is that Maine does not currently require a license or certification, but if I pursue this it would only be as an employee under the legal umbrella of a parent company, NOT as an independent contractor.

Any guidance/experience appreciated.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get used to crawling under some pretty crappy houses and seeing all the bugs Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Get used to crawling under some pretty crappy houses and seeing all the bugs Wink

Been that, done there. Used to help Dad re-wire farmhouses that were originally wired by the REA in the 1930's. Dry-laid fieldstone foundations, post and beam construction, spiders, snakes, rats...you name it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sorta, I'm a homebuilder and I walk every home I build.

Easiest money for you is to try to get inspections for new homes. Amazing how most new home buyers are looking for paint chips and cosmetic stuff rather than functional things such as plumbing, HVAC, electrical and low voltage.

Home inspectors here charge around $700 or so and takes them 2 hours at most on new homes. Easiest money they'll ever make. Walked a build with a buyer who brought some "expert." Not sure what he charged but the only question he could come up with was if the gas cook top would also use electricity. Well it does have to spark the gas so I guess? Roll Eyes

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
use a robot. you know, those crawlspace home inspection robots. a robotics engineer should invent and sell such a tool.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post