SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non-coffee drinker wanting to start; what do the experts recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-coffee drinker wanting to start; what do the experts recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Basic definitions
Americano= Expresso diluted with hot water
Expresso=strong black coffee made by forcing steam thru ground coffee beans
Cappuccino= Expresso based with steamed milk foam
Latte=Expresso with lot of hot steamed milk
Macchiato=Expresso with a dash of frothy steamed milk
Mocha= chocolate flavored variant of latte

So, European coffee is much stronger than American coffee. A coffee aficionado will gravitate towards Expresso. Expresso is a very small small amount of coffee.
For a noob- start with American coffee. Coffee with a little cream to balance the flavor , reduce the bitterness. Coffee has caffeine, which the coffee drinkers crave. Expresso is shots of caffeine. Start with “Fresh” coffee- MacDonalds is a good start. Milk, cream, half and half to balance the flavor.
This is a start. You don’t want the “burnt” taste - avoid leftover coffee, sitting in the pot for hours.
That’s all I got. Good luck.

Espresso. Wink

Back to OP’s question, I recommend finding a third wave coffee shop in the nearest metropolitan area. Any shop that roasts their own, offers pour overs and uses a scale to weigh the grounds and the espresso extraction is like a third wave coffee shop. You’re likely to get darn good coffee there so you can see if you like coffee without a bunch of extras first.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Maybe I've become a coffee snob, or maybe the stuff has gotten a lot better since the last time I tried it, but these recommendations toward instant coffee are just baffling to me!

Why in the world would we subject a coffee-n00b to the horrors of instant coffee? Let's instead go with the good advice offered here such as "find Kona."

My goodness, y'all! Eek

- - -

To the OP: I don't know where in NC you are, but I cross that state occasionally.
I'd gladly help search out a good coffee shop in your area and buy you a cup sometime if you're on my path.

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Basic definitions
Americano= Expresso diluted with hot water
Expresso=strong black coffee made by forcing steam thru ground coffee beans
Cappuccino= Expresso based with steamed milk foam
Latte=Expresso with lot of hot steamed milk
Macchiato=Expresso with a dash of frothy steamed milk
Mocha= chocolate flavored variant of latte
<snip>

Also, there are these:

Lungo – an espresso with more water run through the grounds. Unlike an Americano, which has water added after brewing.

Ristretto – an espresso with less water run through the grounds.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Dear mojojojo,
You asked for it.

Your friend,
T Big Grin

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
Espresso. Wink

THANK YOU!!!!

For the OP:
Whatever coffee you choose, you can't go wrong by making it a little "Irish" with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Dear mojojojo,
You asked for it.

Your friend,
T Big Grin

So I did! Smile

I guess finding the right coffee for an individual is kinda like sex...you have to experiment a lot to find out what you really like. Razz

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6740 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 8 O'clock Original.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just add a little Jameson. some cream and bit of brown sugar.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Dear mojojojo,
You asked for it.

Your friend,
T Big Grin

So I did! Smile

I guess finding the right coffee for an individual is kinda like sex...you have to experiment a lot to find out what you really like. Razz

Hadn’t really thought of it that way, but hey... Wink. Go drink some coffee, before this goes clear off the rails and down a dirt road

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post