SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Five years without my dad
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Five years without my dad Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I'd just been going about my day when I remembered. Previous years it'd been hanging over me for a week or more each time. I guess this means I'm finally accepting the reality of it. Still hit me like a gut punch. Check up on your loved ones today. Don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking there's always time. It had been a couple weeks since I'd seen my dad and I kept thinking I'd call tomorrow. Tomorrow was too late.

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. My dad is right across the street and I haven't visited for about a week.

He's been in poor health and I try to not think of his time being shirt.

Posts: 45324 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks Leemur. I chose to delay a visit to my parents on Sunday for no other reason than laziness. I lost focus on priorities...
Sorry about your dad, brother.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29597 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Leemur. My condolences. My Dad is gone 13 yrs now. It feels like just yesterday, and yet a lifetime ago as well. I guess it gets easier, I don't cry at his grave site much any longer. Sometimes I feel bad about that.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Be thankful for the good memories, we just passed the one year anniversary of my Dad's passing. The previous years we visited up to twice a week, due to his Alzheimer's, even with that affliction, we were able to enjoy those visits and cherish our time together.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Condolences Leemur.
It has been two years since my Dad passed away and one year since my Mom passed away.
You get through it - not over it..........

PC

Posts: 1329 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lost mine 6 years ago, my mentor in the plumbing business, and I thank him for that! But there are days that I would love to ask his advice.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Report This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I lost both my Mom and Dad in 2007. They were both in their mid 90's. Dad went first in January, and my Mom in December. The hurt wanes as time goes by, but never completely leaves you.

Condolences.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling.
My dad died waiting for me at an airport back in 1975 when I was 20.

I still miss him daily.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My condolences. My Father died when I was 17. I still miss him every day, and I am 55.

I am blessed to have a wonderful Step-Father who turns 90 in March.

If your parents are still alive, tell them you love them. There will come a day when you cannot.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's tough and you have my sympathy. My Dad passed in 2005 and my Mom in 2006.
My Dad left when I was 2 and I didn't find him until I was quite a bit older. Still hurts sometimes.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. 2 yrs ago today. Best wishes.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Report This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Indeed, we should take care of our parents, I was very, very lucky, I passed out 3 weeks ago from a abnormally low heart beat. Rescue crews told me that my heart stopped in the ambulance and once again while I was on the table getting a pacemaker.

My kids are both calling me every day to check on me, I got a second chance at life and they and I intend to enjoy every minute. Please keep up with your loved ones it means a lot to them!!

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
You have my sympathies. Thursday will mark 18 years my dad has been gone. He was barely 46 and I had just turned 22. He went very suddenly and unexpectedly. I think of him on some level every day. I sure am grateful for those 22 years. I had a wonderful father and a ton of good memories. There are certain times of the year though, like now, deer season, and the week of the Oshkosh air show that bring back powerful memories, and with it, pain.
Shortly after the death of my dad I was talking to a friend who was in his upper 80's. His father had been a railroad man, and he told me that to that very day he could not hear a train whistle in the distance without feeling a small twinge for his father. Some hurts never fully go away, but I don't know that it is all together a bad thing.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 883 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I called my dad today. We talked for an hour. I invited him to one of his favorite activities.....the train show. He loves that show. We wander around and he tells me about his train experiences growing up. We look at functioning scenery boards people have made and he critiques them for realism etc. After a couple of hours we go have lunch. He's getting on in years so I try to spend as much time as I can. Leemur's post made me realize I don't have time to be lazy anymore.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29597 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lost my dad in 1982. Every time I look down and see a coin laying on the ground, I pick it up and thank him for the "gift".

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It is 2 years next week, still think about him daily.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Report This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, Leemur - I'm coming up on 5 years as well in May. I really miss my dad and being able to share both the little things and the big ones too. Like PCWyoming said above, we'll get through this but never over it.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2538 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I'd just been going about my day when I remembered. Previous years it'd been hanging over me for a week or more each time. I guess this means I'm finally accepting the reality of it. Still hit me like a gut punch. Check up on your loved ones today. Don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking there's always time. It had been a couple weeks since I'd seen my dad and I kept thinking I'd call tomorrow. Tomorrow was too late.

I lost my dad when I was young. I was 27 and he was 56. BUT, the worst of it was it happened on 4th of July (after 3 months of pain and suffering). It took me a good while to get ok with it.....7-8 years. Prior to that it would wear on me for a good week, every single year.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's been almost 20 years for me. He was 15 minutes away and very young. Tomorrow can definitely be to late. I'm still mad at myself for not stopping by or calling more often. Make you you make the time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post