SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are raw green tomatoes any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are raw green tomatoes any good? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Fried green tomatoes are good, but I’m asking about eating RAW green tomatoes.

My Whole Foods store has dozens of tomato offerings, including mesh bags of 4 or 5 small raw green tomatoes.
“Ready in 1 to 2 days”

I’m tempted to try them raw just to see. Does anyone here eat raw green tomatoes? Maybe with some condiment?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9432 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about raw but, I sure like em fried with peppers, onions, and scrambled eggs on Italian bread.

Posts: 765 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
No. Hell no.

For me, it's vine ripened tomatoes grown in my organic raised bed garden. Might pick a day early (eg green shoulder but rest red) so birds don't get it and it ages better on counter.

Store bought tomatoes lack taste because they're picked green and gassed with ethylene to turn red. Intentionally eating a green tomato won't have a normal tomato flavor either.

Also, store bought tomatoes can have a weird mealy taste if they're refrigerated. To be fair, you can create a weird mealy tasting garden tomato too by refrigerating it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23643 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I got a mince meat pie recipe from granny 60+
years ago that uses green tomatoes. The pie is worth the effort & extra work if you have a granny recipe. I don't care for raw
Green tomato

Posts: 9873 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
They are very tart.
They're best made into fried green tomatoes.
Something about the heat changes the flavor profile.

Now I've had pickled green tomatoes and they were absolutely wonderful.
Again, completely different flavor. The sour, salt, tart was just awesome.

They were a little bit bigger than cherry tomatoes.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
My passed Dad's Dominican girlfriend loved them raw right out of our garden with vinegar. Personally I don't do tomatoes in anything but a hearty italian gravy with fresh pasta and shredded chicken, beef or pork. John.

Posts: 2895 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Fried yes!

Raw no!

0:01

Posts: 4279 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a pinch you can sub them for tomatillos in green salsa if you can’t get the other. They are ground up raw in chow-chow relish, but the relish gets cooked.

Posts: 450 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was working, I would eat at this Jewish Deli a few times a month. They had pickled green tomatoes. I always got one with lunch. Heavy on the garlic and very tasty.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yuck no

You need to pickle them in the very least.

Posts: 34517 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Towards the end of tomato growing season, I like to pickle the small green tomatoes left over. Add a couple of hot peppers to the jar for an extra treat.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1357 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
When I was working, I would eat at this Jewish Deli a few times a month. They had pickled green tomatoes. I always got one with lunch. Heavy on the garlic and very tasty.
Where was this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31374 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Largo Florida. But they have been gone for some time now. I've been looking for a recipe.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post