SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Greatest has passed- Willie Mays at 93
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest has passed- Willie Mays at 93 Login/Join 
posted
If he's not the greatest baseball player ever, he's in the top-3. God broke the mold after making Willie Mays. A sad day and the end of an era.

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21373 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The first professional baseball game I ever went to was his 3,000th hit.

The promotion was that you could use the ticket stubs from the 3,000 game and go to another game for free. Candlestick wasn’t very crowded back then.

The next day was a double header so dad loaded up the 5 kids in the station wagon and off we went again

That was a great deal for a Deputy Sheriff with 5 kids…

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Say hey, Willie.

Rest in peace.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1995 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the first models I ever made as a kid with my dad, was of THE CATCH!

I had that model in my room until I moved out of the house, and I’m guessing that my folks still have it somewhere in the house (along with my baseball card ‘collection’ as it were).

RIP Mr. Mays.

Posts: 3588 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the memories & your example. Rest easy Say Hey Kid Wink

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
If he's not the greatest baseball player ever, he's in the top-3. God broke the mold after making Willie Mays. A sad day and the end of an era.

Indeed, arguably the greatest all-around baseball player ever.
Condolances for his family, friends, and many fans.
Rest in peace Willie. Thank you for the memories.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won’t argue with top three. That man did it all! I love how you can type “The catch” into a browser and there he is in game 1 of the ‘54 series making his iconic over the shoulder catch. Rest easy Willie and thank you for all the happiness you brought to the sport through some of the toughest adversity an athlete had to endure.

Posts: 1175 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
He should have been loudly honored by Major League Baseball before he died.

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He’d have 1,000 HR If he didn’t have to play in the polo grounds with a 483 foot center field wall and allmoat 2 full seasons at age 20 to the army and a decade at candlestick before it was enclosed with that wind blowing in.
Definitely best right handed hitter and on the Mount Rushmore of baseball position players.
RIP Willie !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Willie Mays was every kids baseball idol when I was a kid.
One of the GOATS for sure.
Sad to see him pass on. Frown

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Posted by a friend: "I was a little boy when the great Willie Mays was still playing baseball, back when kids admired athletes a lot more, and he was just about worshipped by everyone I knew. We had his cards, we read his biography, and he never let us down. I cherish the memories he gave a nation."

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8657 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Willie Mays was every kids baseball idol when I was a kid.
One of the GOATS for sure.
Sad to see him pass on. Frown

He was certainly one of ours; I remember my friends and me practicing basket catches 'cause they were so cool, as was Willie, of course.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Someone once said that he could have made the hall of fame at any position, with the possible exceptions of pitcher or catcher.

I didn't know that he missed most of two seasons in the military. That brings to mind Ted Williams. So many great ballplayers, I am not qualified to pick the GOAT, but would never argue with someone who picked Willie Mays.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2163 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post