SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Navy F-18E shoots down Syrian SU-22, good kill. :D
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Navy F-18E shoots down Syrian SU-22, good kill. :D Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Russia Halts Cooperation With US In Syria, Will "Intercept Any Aircraft" In Russian Areas Of Operation

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...ssian-areas-operatio

Shortly after Russia's deputy foreign minister slammed the US downing of a Syrian Su-22 jet as an "act of aggression" and "support for terrorists", Russia announced that starting June 19 it was halting all interactions with the US under the framework on the "memorandum of incident prevention in Syrian skies", the Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday, thereby assuring the probability of even more deadly escalations between Russia and the US-led coalition.

In retaliation, the ministry warned that Russian missile defense will intercept any aircraft in the area of operations of the Russian Aerospace Forces in Syria,

"In areas where Russian aviation is conducting combat missions in the Syrian skies, any flying ojects, including jets and unmanned aerial vehicles of the international coalition discovered west of the Euphrates River will be followed by Russian air and ground defenses as air targets," the Russian Defense Ministry announced, quoted by Sputnik.

Contrary to the earlier statement by the US according to which, it "contacted its Russian counterparts by telephone via an established "de-confliction line" to de-escalate the situation and stop the firing", Russia claims the US-led coalition command didn't use the deconfliction channel with Russia to avoid an incident during an operation in Raqqa:

"Russian Aerospace Forces' jets were conducting operations in Syrian airspace that time. However, the command of the coalition forces didn't use the existing channel between the air command of the Qatari airbase al Udeid and the [Russian] Hmeymim airbase to avoid incidents over Syria."

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Would we have shot down a Russian jet?

This is no escalation. Russia is just stomping their feet for the sake of stomping their feet. I dont think Ivan has the balls to shoot down an American jet. The magical muslim isn't running things anymore.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Of course we wouldn't intentionally shoot down a Russian jet under those circumstances.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Take notes and don't mess with the USA. We ARE NOT like our whiny NATO allies.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I dont think Ivan has the balls to shoot down an American jet..

We can only hope at this point. But we have now backed them into a corner.

Lots of aircraft in that area - flying combat (support) and non-combat ops.

Hypothetically - what do we do if they shoot down a US aircraft ? Because that is a next possibility.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is a big deal or not, Turkey shot down a RUSSIAN jet in 2015, and they are back to talking with the Russians again, mostly bark?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I don't think this is a real escalation, IMO. Russia is not going to hit the US, whom has so much military assets in that region, over Assad. Putin is not stupid. He may get one or two US jets with his S300/400 SAM before SEAD and cruise missiles wipe out those bases. I'd think that US Navy jets flying there would already have Growler support.

I don't think he would risk his own jets bombing US allies either.

As far as F-18E/F vs Su-27/35, I would think that the APG-79 AESA radar in the 18 would give it a huge advantage since it would be way less visible to the Russian jet (with frequency hopping snapshots). Networking and target sharing between the 18's would probably allow the shooter to sneak up on the Russian and shoot before he knows it. Meanwhile the Su shining its huge radar around looking for target would be like shining your flashlight in the dark.

Maybe others more knowledgeable can chime in on this regard.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont think Ivan has the balls to shoot down an American jet.

Thinking like that is a recipe for disaster.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think like the Russians:

The Russians - I agree - will likely not do much. But 'Syrian Forces' (aka Russians not uniformed like Russian military) shoot down a US aircraft as a body check. That I definitely see as a possibility.

In fact - if there are SOCOM helicopters flying our SF teams around they better be on extra high alert. I could see them as very probably targets.

We all know the Russians are devious and will engage via all manner of asymmetrical counter-attacks.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
I dont think Ivan has the balls to shoot down an American jet..

We can only hope at this point. But we have now backed them into a corner.

Lots of aircraft in that area - flying combat (support) and non-combat ops.

Hypothetically - what do we do if they shoot down a US aircraft ? Because that is a next possibility.

--------------------------
I think Sig209 has the pulse of the situation. We have shot down an aircraft from a sovereign nation (the Assad regime is still recognized by almost the entire world) that we are not officially at war with and that Russia has vowed to defend. How is that not backing Russia into a corner? What can Russia do to save face on the world stage other than strike back? If they don't, all of the other countries that nominally fall under their protection suddenly become far less cooperative with Moscow and they lose influence and access to resources.

It is most certainly an escalation, or more accurately, an escalation of the previous escalation when we lobbed cruise missiles at Syria.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I don't know if this is a big deal or not, Turkey shot down a RUSSIAN jet in 2015, and they are back to talking with the Russians again, mostly bark?

With Turkey controlling the Dardanelles, Russia has to cut the Turks a bit of slack.

As far as Russian Air Force vs U.S. Air Force, I'd rather not find out.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More information at the website.I just pasted a little bit of the information.

Iran strikes 'terror bases' in Syria as it launches first missiles at another country in 30 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...revenge-attacks.html

Iran's Revolutionary Guard said it launched a series of missiles at Syrian terror bases in revenge for deadly attacks on its capital that were claimed by Islamic State.

The attack on Sunday was the first missile launch by Iran outside its own territory in 30 years, since the Iran-Iraq war which ran from 1980 to 88, media in the Islamic republic reported.

It came hours after supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a statement on his website, vowed Iran would 'slap its enemies' in honour of the victims' families, including those killed in Syria and Iraq.

Better than you
posted Hide Post
The amount of faggot armchair warriors here is astonishing. Such bravado and ooh rah cheering from a bunch of useless fat good ole boys that wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real war if it came down to it.

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srg720:
The amount of faggot armchair warriors here is astonishing. Such bravado and ooh rah cheering from a bunch of useless fat good ole boys that wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real war if it came down to it.
I'm confident your thoughts could have been expressed in a better manner.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Classy!

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oooh, a tough guy.

Tell us more, please.

(snort)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better than you
posted Hide Post
Tough guy? And who are you exactly?? Apart from some fat douchebag keyboard warrior acting tough on a gun forum aka circlejerk.

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tough guy? And who are you exactly?? Apart from some fat douchebag keyboard warrior acting tough on a gun forum aka circlejerk.

srg720 that was post #666 Eek

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please re-evaluate your responses , this isn't considered acceptable behavior on this forum.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post