SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdoor spray to kill mildew.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor spray to kill mildew. Login/Join 
posted
I noticed a small amount of mildrew on my front door frame. I do not wish to repaint as the frame was painted two years ago. What would you suggest to remove the mildew? A spray bottle would be nice. Thanks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I use outdoor bleach, won't hurt plants or grass, we get mold all the time in Florida, mix it with some water in a pump sprayer, I get the gallon or larger containers.

They have one that will attach to a hose.

link

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I use this on my vinyl fence and it doesn't kill the grass, and it comes with the built in spray nozzle!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tilex...Mold-Remover/1080731

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: archerman,

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I would use diluted bleach. About 1/3 bleach in 2/3 water.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bleach will neutralize Termidor termite treatment chemical .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's most likely not mildew, as mildew is a plant fungus.

Bleach may work, but it often just removes the color from whatever microbial activity it is you have going on. The "roots" of the structure may still be there and grow back in the future.

A simple anti-microbial should work, Concrobium is widely available at HD, Lowe's and the likes. Apply, let dwell, scrub with nylon brush and then rinse.

There's other products out there with various results for exterior work, believe one is called Krud Kutter or Spray and Forget.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been using this for years. Amazing stuff you mix in a garden sprayer with bleach and mostly water. Spray on and let it sit 10-15 minutes. Then spray off with a garden hose or carefully with a pressure washer.
Areas that you thought needed to be repainted will look like new.
Here is a link from Home Depot but you can get it at a lot of places.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-...ner-785G1M/100168300

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wet and Forget. I use it every year to eliminate mold and fungus around the exterior of my home.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I suggest after light sanding and cleaning to use a dedicated mildew/mold killer, some you mix with Clorox. Such as https://www.rustoleum.com/en/p...er-and-mildew-killer

Clorox alone may kill mildew but it doesn't kill the spores, that's why it reappears within a year or so in the new paint. It actually grows from under the paint film which makes it even more difficult to kill. Then be sure to use a top quality exterior paint which incorporates mildewcide. This at least makes it more resistant to mildew on the film surface. Most paint stores also sell a mildewcide additive that can be added to your paint. (Have them put it in before they put the paint on the shaker). Mildew on/in paint has become more of a problem over the last 30 years or so as effective chemicals in paint have been eliminated and replaced with ones that are more "environmentally friendly". (Years back trace amounts of mercury was extremely effective). One last suggestion for mildew prone surfaces, such as exterior or bathrooms, is to go with a slick (shinier) finish which is a little more difficult for airborne spores to attach to in the first place and wash off if they do.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't just treat the area where you see the mildew... that's already the dead portion of the colony.

treat a much larger area where the actually live spores are

something to keep in mind... if one does not do proper surface prep prior to repainting... killing live mildew spores (not where you see it)..it will still be alive under the paint film and continuously return. Mildewcides in premium products is on the film surface after the paint cures

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a north facing front door so I do get some mold/mildew on the light colored trim. I just use the ready to use Wet n Forget. No scrubbing, no pressure washing, no rinsing, and lasts about a year.

They make a concentrate if you have a larger area.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Consan Triple Action 20 will kill it without the harshness of bleach but really a pressure washer is all you need if you have one or access to one.

Whatever you use to kill it will only turn it black and still needs to be washed off.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post