SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2010 Everstart Maxx-29 Deep cycle trolling, start, RV battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Everstart Maxx-29 Deep cycle trolling, start, RV battery Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Any good?
It is rated for 875 marine cranking amps
and 125 amp hours

It has been in storage for several years.

I have not tested it or tried it or charged it. I am wondering how to proceed.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19707 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You might as well put it on a charger and see what happens, IMO.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Its worth $10, which is the core charge if you dont trade it in for a new battery.

I wouldn't use it for anything important. Maybe a power pack for the house with an inverter in case of power outage.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If it has been setting that long without a charge, it is a dead duck. What was the voltage reading?? 2 volts

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
41, I don't see a voltage rating like you are asking about.

I did hook up my 750 watt schmaucher inverter to it and got the Lo Bat. warning.

So..

I hooked up my Schauer batter charger to it. Is show zero on the DC amp meter. I am guessing that means it is not taking a charger. Not sure though?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The plates get a chemical reaction that causes the plates to form a high resistance and therefore will not take a charge....just a big old resistor instead of a low impedance.

I usually charge mine every month or two. I don't like the battery tenders.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Well, I am going to leave it on the charger over night and see what I have as arfmel suggested. Fingers crossed. Smile

posted Hide Post
Old rugged cross. I'v gone threw a couple of these in the past 4yrs on my rv. They seem to last about two years and fizzle. Just my 2cents.
Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What was the result?

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They make equipment that is suppose to desulfate the battery. This explains what happens when a battery is not recharged:

http://batteryuniversity.com/l...nd_how_to_prevent_it

This is the company I saw at a boat show many years ago:

https://www.pulsetech.net/medi...SAEPaper-for-web.pdf

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The one I have been charging won't take a full charge and is pretty flat, so a no go, unfortunately. I am going to be in the market.

Wondering about this one? Any thoughts?

https://www.batteriesplus.com/...i-group-31m/sli31mdc

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would go to WalMart and get their Marine Deep Cycle which has a 2 year warranty. I have never found anything at Battery Plus that was a good price.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eve...le-Battery/131118029

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I will check WM but at $105 plus a 10% off coupon. I do not think you are going to beat that price, even at WM?

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have bought all my batteries from WalMart since 1980 and have had only one that developed a bad cell after a year and they gave me a new one.

When they get near their end of life at about six or seven years, they are then used on my lawn tractors for several more years. Breaking down in your yard is no big deal. Big Grin