SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Falling down often? Get a tail.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falling down often? Get a tail. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/...balance-out-18838128

Robot tail developed to balance out human body and stop people from falling over

The robotic tail is designed to help the wearer to stay balanced when moving quickly or carrying heavy objects

BySophie CurtisTechnology and Science Editor
10:02, 6 AUG 2019UPDATED10:29, 6 AUG 2019

A robotic tail that claims to balance out the human body could be used instead of a cane to help prevent elderly people from falling over.

The strap-on appendage, known as Arque, has been developed by researchers at Keio University in Japan.

It is inspired by a seahorse's tail, which is strong enough to withstand predators' bites but flexible enough to grip things in its environment, like coral.

The tail can be be adjusted to fit whoever is wearing it by adding or removing modular "vertebrae", the Fast Company reports .

Small weights can also be inserted inside each vertebrae to help offset the wearer's weight.

This helps the wearer to stay balanced when moving quickly or carrying heavy objects, according to the researchers.

Once the Arque tail is properly adjusted to the wearer's height and weight, it acts like a counterbalance.

Artificial muscles inside the robotic tail control its movement by contracting and expanding using an external pressurised air system that resembles a lawn mower or giant vacuum.

Because the prototype tail has to remain tethered to this system, the wearer is not able to move very far using it.

However, if the researchers were to find a way to make it mobile, it could act as a support for labourers who have to carry heavy loads, or as an assistive device for people who have trouble balancing.

It could also be used in gaming to throw the user off-balance, making a game feel more realistic.

"For most mammals and vertebrate animals, tail plays an important role for their body providing variant functions to expand their mobility, or as a limb that allows manipulation and gripping," said Yamen Saraiji, Project Senior Assistant Professor at the Keio University Graduate School of Media Design.

"In this work, Arque, we propose an artificial biomimicry-inspired anthropomorphic tail to allow us alter our body momentum for assistive, and haptic feedback applications."

The tail was presented last week at the 2019 SIGGRAPH conference in Los Angeles , which focuses on graphics, gaming, and emerging technology.

Q

Posts: 26479 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d like to get a little tail.

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Saw what you did there Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If'n I were a member of the Kardashians, I would claim cultural appropriation.

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ Haaaaaaaaaa! Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are funny Big Grin Big Grin

Oh wait, can I use it to stabilize myself at the shooting range, like seated?

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Can they make it grip toilet paper?

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
how long before some guy straps that on backwards and upside down then videos it for utoob...

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure I would want any kind of pneumatically controlled appendage near my butt hole.

Eek

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
They're working on a prehensile version.

Will it pass TSA security?

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:

They almost need a front appendage as a counter balance.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

They almost need a front appendage as a counter balance.

From what I recall they are pretty well fixed on the front appendages as well.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no engineer, but might it have to be made to each persons body weight ?

Shirley you would not use the same size device on two people who differ in weight by 130 pounds,

and maybe even height,
Steve is 5'3 in and doug is 6' 3 in.

the length should be a concern as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54700 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Strap on, eh?

Actually this makes sense for the elderly. They fall, they break a hip, and then they die. Happens all the time.

But good luck convincing anyone to wear it. My dad is 92, has had a few falls. No way in hell would he consider something like this.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:

Not sure I would want any kind of pneumatically controlled appendage near my butt hole.

Eek

Right, what if it was hacked!!

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again the scientists need to work with the fashion industry to make this popular with the elderly. You know get a devil outfit with a pitchfork to go along with it. I can see it being a big hit in the nursing homes in Japan.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
For a lot of my work, I'd find a third arm growing from the center of my chest more useful. A prehensile tail that could also support my weight (like that of Nightcrawler of the X-Men) would be a lot of fun, however.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As soon as I saw this, a limerick from the late 1950s started running through (what remains of) my mind, and I can't get rid of it.

There was a young redneck named Hollis
Who used reptiles and snails for his solace.
His offspring had scales
And prehensile tails
And voted for Governor Wallace.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post