SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    El Paso, TX - residents or runners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

El Paso, TX - residents or runners Login/Join 
posted
I’ve got a long run scheduled for my last morning in EP. I can’t seem to find any paved bike or running paths. My Google skills haven’t helped either.

Looking for pavement - suggestions?

Thanks

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get to the river, do not run across. They do not poke illegal aliens over there.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No paved streets in El Paso, eh?

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Depends where you want to go and how far.

McKelligan canyon if you are in central El Paso. It's about 5 miles.

If you are on the west side of town, start at the corner of Resler and Helen of Troy and head north on Resler. When you get to Woodrow Bean transmountain by the hospital, make a right and keep going and cross via an underpass to the westbound side of transmountain until the trail ends. That's a good 8 miles or so.

Sunday mornings, Scenic Drive is closed to vehicle traffic from 7am-11am or so. About 4 miles with a great view.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
No paved streets in El Paso, eh?

In my years of traveling to Texas for work, there are not many runners and, thus, drivers aren’t necessarily looking for them. Particularly in Houston where I get on the Bayou trail.

Edmond, I’ll plug those into MapMyRun and figure it out. Thanks!!! I need 14 miles, so 7 out and back.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This might, or not, help but Run El Paso Link might be of help.

If you’re on Facebook there is a “Run El Paso” group but I don’t know how active it is.

I have long time friends in El Paso, I’ll ask them.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edmond, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to avoid the climb and Resler to the hospital. I'll part at the hospital and then catch the paved trail and then turn north on the Pipeline Trail. While gravel, it doesn't require a bunch of climbing.

By the way, that bike path continues west to I-10 and then heads north to Westway Blvd.

P229

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The climb on Resler and then Transmountain is a good challenge for sure. When I lived on that side of town, I would ride all the way up to the first scenic parking area. It was about 18 miles worth with a hell of a climb.

I’ve rode a lot of the west side. So many places for bike riding in El Paso.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post