SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone participating in the GameStop short squeeze?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone participating in the GameStop short squeeze? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Wall Street and the Hedgies are playing the game by the rules (which, of course, they wrote.) The Redditers are playing it against some very old, well know rules. I don't think the government is going to hold off on dropping the hammer on them because of some perception that short selling is somehow wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Yup.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
This smells like and organized pump and dump. I wonder if the SEC and maybe some of the US attorneys may get involved?

I suspect a few key Redditors are about to find out just how anonymous the internet ain't.

True - but gotta give it to them - they have brass balls and kudo's to fighting back against the Hedge Fund machine and Wall Street.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just saw they are doing the same thing with Blockbuster. Does Blockbuster still exist or we warping back 20 years?

BB is Black Berry, not Blockbuster.

BB was known for making cell phones in the early 2000's. Reality though, they were really good at making lightweight, secure, closed environment operating systems.

They've pivoted their business and are really focusing on their software. Their software is targeting the auto (particularly, electric vehicles) industry to provide the operating system.

They recently just settled a patent lawsuit and their stock popped on the news. Of course, this limited success attracted short selling hedge funds, and now the stock price is running as Redditors trim their profits out of GameStop and rotate into the next (unlikely) squeeze.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
True - but gotta give it to them - they have brass balls and kudo's to fighting back against the Hedge Fund machine and Wall Street.

And they can enjoy those kudos and Reddit stardom from minimum security Club Fed while serving their sentences and reminiscing about that time they had $13 million dollars in the bank before the Feds seized it.

(And many of their fellow white collar prisoners would be members of the financial system elite, so they'd have to watch their back on the squash court so they don't get jumped by the Bernie Madoff Boys as payback for raging against the hedge fund machine.)

"Wall Street, muthafucka!"

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I miss JAllen weighing in on these threads. This is fascinating to watch, I will be on the sidelines for this one. I have been reading about it all day.

There are some millionaires made this week that bought in at $4. I admire the reddit gang that had confidence to hold on thru $200 and $300. I would have cashed out way earlier.

I don't think what's happening with GME will be repeated with BB or AMC. The difference is GME had over 100% of the shares shorted. I am suspicious of anyone in Wall Street calling out fraud, or trying to sick the SEC on the reddit group. I really think they caught Melvin Hedge Fund with their pants down. I don't think the reddit group is driving it all by themselves though, I think there are multiple Hedge Funds that swooped in on their side also.

The volatility is going to be epic tomorrow and it could all come crashing down in seconds.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I agree with Louis.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
The volatility is going to be epic tomorrow and it could all come crashing down in seconds.

I'll enjoy being on the sidelines for this one as well.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I agree with Louis also.

This kid is the hero on reddit known as DeepF**ckingValue and is up $35 million on his trade.

He lays it all out in this video from 5 months ago.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entertaining video. Saagar Enjeti (on The Hill) is all over the hedge funds, SEC, and Nasdaq all of whom suddenly see a crying need for investigations.

I’m not actually smart enough to know how right, or wrong, he is. He is certainly not on the side of the wall street elites

https://youtu.be/9ToOGrUQ7ME

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
This smells like and organized pump and dump. I wonder if the SEC and maybe some of the US attorneys may get involved?

I had a similar thought. Fuck the investment firms though, nobody cares when it’s them manipulating stocks.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The stocks are tumbling - the Reddit was banned.
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/...579106818617345?s=21

Initially they thought it had gone private, but Reddit banned it.
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/...581180704829445?s=21

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The dip has already recovered, but expect more bloodshed.

Word is that /wsb wasn't banned, but the moderators took it offline to counter the thousands of spam and chat bots.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Today felt like a blow off top. End of the run.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Well, the redditors found out that the SEC is now monitoring their forum...
Well, finally, something in this thread that makes sense.

It's not every day you get to tell the SEC to eat a dick, at least when you're certain they're hearing you, that is. Razz

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
As of about 20 minutes ago Wallstreetbets has been locked down & discord channel shut down by Google.. the suits don't like to be shown up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ah, but the internet is porous. Just use the $GME tag Smile

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
They are back online

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
can we all short gamestop stock now?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow should be wild. Watching the army of investors growing on twitter is very cool. This guy seems to be leading the charge.

https://twitter.com/WSBChairman?s=20

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
can we all short gamestop stock now?
Maybe shorting the overbet hedge funds might not be the stupidest play?

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So... For the uneducated among us...

Who is actually paying you when the stock goes down? If it was $10 and you short it and it goes to $1, how do you get your $9? You still only have stock worth $1

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post