SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone participating in the GameStop short squeeze?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone participating in the GameStop short squeeze? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
DeepFuckingValue isn't getting doxxed.

He did an interview with the WSJ. He has a YouTube channel. He put himself out there, he'll be okay.

He's also changed the lives of thousands of regular people. If he asked for people to camp outside his house for protection 24/7, he'd get more than a few volunteers.

Not to mention that he also has 8 figures sitting in his bank account, not counting his stocks. He could hire security if he wanted.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I see that. WSJ put this out within the last hour. Photos. Prior Interview.

(Behind a paywall)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Market rolling over. Last three trading days have the feel of a topping pattern. Also, tops are often marked by speculative frenzy, which we certainly are having.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
For those more in the know...

How many shorts have to be closed today? Is it by the market close? How many more are out there? Is there going to be a spike from those that have to cover their positions? And has all the big money (hedge funds) already gotten out?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
For those more in the know...

How many shorts have to be closed today? Is it by the market close? How many more are out there? Is there going to be a spike from those that have to cover their positions? And has all the big money (hedge funds) already gotten out?

The big money can continue to pay interest on shorted shares rather than cover. Interest at this point is likely astronomical, but the hedges have money. It's a game of chicken, but not just between retailers, but against multiple hedges as well. The price is currently very high, no hedge wants to cover at this price, but if one of them did, the price would spike for the oghers. It's a tough choice, cover now, cover later at a higher price, or pay interest and pray that the line breaks and the stock price tumbles to a lower number.

Numbers are reported twice a month, so no accurate picture of what's happening. Just estimates from algorithms.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They have deep enough pockets to outlast the Redditors. The hedge funders in the end will still be OK. There is no way the Redditors *all* will hold out. Realizing gains is a hard thing to resist. Not all of the people participating in this are willing to lose all their gains and/or lose it all in the end. A few will take profits, then a few more, then a tsunami. A few will lose it all and be holding the bag. It's a game of hot potato with a thermonuclear bomb.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of caddy day at the pool in Caddyshack. How dare these low bred techies try to barge into our club and disrupt our earnings, lol. I took bit of beating today in the market but have to laugh, and at the same time be a bit nervous, at the audacity of this move. I have never been a fan of shorting. Always seemed to me that when a bigwig shorted and then advertised it that he was manipulating the market and in the process crushing the company being shorted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This must be the worst thing that's happened, anywhere, ever.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

That is perhaps how it feels to those who have ruled Wall St with impunity. Very scary to get kicked in the balls for the first time. "How could this happen?" Nothing a little ice and more manipulation can't fix. Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess some folks did not catch the sarcasm. Thanks for posting. The only worse day was when the guy did not show to wash my Lambo!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
There's an old saying that both bulls and bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered.....

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Interesting potential ripple effects

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...tocks-just-one-share

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Going to be the death of RH. I only have $500 in RH. I'm closing it really soon, I wish I could short them just to drive it down. Too bad it's not privately traded.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The name Robinhood always irked me. I guess it was the implication that they were smarter than everyone else. Elizbeth Holmes, Pharmabro etc. all in the same category. Tony Hsieh was different. He cared about people. JMHO

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm going to close my Robinhood account after this all settles down.

Also, I'm sending them a California right to be forgotten request and to request a copy of the data collected. Just to be a burdensome prick.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles, I have a question about this whole thing.

Could Melvin Capital go straight to the folks they borrowed the GME shares from to short and strike a deal with them? Ask them what they would accept for their shares rather than having to replace them?

I think if I had lent my shares to them and am seeing all that is going on I'd be worried about the ability of Melvin Capital to get me my shares back if they go bankrupt.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was reading an article on CNBC that many of the original value short positions had been closed. The current high short interest are from the new shorts entering with the skyhigh spiking of the share price.

I went short at $320. Much harder to squeeze shorts entering at $2-400+ than the original value shorts.

Longs also don't have much of the option chain gamma squeeze on their side now that the Jan expiry came and went. At least there won't be a gamma rush until Feb expiry.

quote:

"While the 'value shorts' that were in GME earlier have been squeezed, most of the borrowed shares that were returned on the back of the buy to covers were shorted by new momentum shorts in the name," Dusaniwsky added in an email.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Could Melvin Capital go straight to the folks they borrowed the GME shares from to short and strike a deal with them? Ask them what they would accept for their shares rather than having to replace them?

I think if I had lent my shares to them and am seeing all that is going on I'd be worried about the ability of Melvin Capital to get me my shares back if they go bankrupt.

No idea, actually. It's a good question though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

I'd think they couldn't because these other whales are also funds which have fiduciary responsibilities with their own clients, which could be us with our 401k, IRA, Roth, 529, municipalities, etc accounts in their assets. So why would these other funds also take a bath for Melvin or Citron risky business?

If the reports from CNBC are accurate, that Melvin and Citron did close out most of their original shorts, and that the currently still very high short interests are from new shorts entering or they opened new short positions, then the squeeze of the new shorts are probably still a distance away.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not going to lie — shorting at these prices is pretty tempting. It's only a matter of time before weak hands dump, and it all comes crashing down.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post