SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    12 Foot gator attacks dog in park, owner frees pet by jumping on gators back
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Foot gator attacks dog in park, owner frees pet by jumping on gators back Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
This is a 12, twelve foot, alligator, not some small baby, big ol boy, would take some serious cojones to jump on a gator that big. Having said that, it also took very little brain power to be walking a dog near a small river/creek, especially in the summer, that's basically making your dog bait...

Link

A dog has been hospitalized in Central Florida after a 12-foot alligator attacked the canine earlier this week.

The dog had been taken out for a walk on May 12 near the Little Econ River at Riverside Park, which is located in Oviedo, Florida.

Lisa McDonald, communications manager for the City of Oviedo, confirmed that there was a reported alligator attack that happened on Friday, but the exact time is unknown since no 911 call was made and park staff were notified a day later.

"A boyfriend and girlfriend were walking their dog at Riverside Park in the back along the Little Econ River when an alligator came out and snatched it," McDonald wrote in an email to Fox News Digital. "According to staff, (not witnessed), the boyfriend jumped on top of the alligator to rescue the dog. They were able to free the animal."

The rescued dog is reportedly receiving care at a local animal hospital, according to FOX 35 Orlando.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Did they kill the gator? Otherwise I don't see how the dude is just sitting there holding its mouth open without getting eaten!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Did they kill the gator? Otherwise I don't see how the dude is just sitting there holding its mouth open without getting eaten!

The blurred head shots and blood lead me to believe it is indeed dead.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 10’ alligator or the guy is only 5’ tall. The blood is interesting, headshot?

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Might be enlightening to know how big the dog... And, yeah, in the posted pics, "Boots" definitely looks like he's stopped twitching. If the blurring around the neck area is to conceal a knife wound, props to the dog owner for doing what had to be done. The zoomed out picture definitely looks like the dude is wearing something on his hip.

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The guy in the pic is probably the trapper the city brought in to get the old boy.

And that is a no-shit gator. I have a few of them in the lake behind my house. If I ever see one that big, it's got a fair chance of needing to find a new home.

I've got animals, and the neighbor has young grandchildren.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Looks like a 10’ alligator or the guy is only 5’ tall. The blood is interesting, headshot?

Go to the link in the first post, there is a video and it's shown hanging straight up.

this is the 11+ foot bad boy that decided to nap in a neighbors driveway one night last year

Trapper sitting on him after the round up

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida Man is more than a stereotype.
A “Florida Man” I work with caught a rattlesnake on the test range. He put it in an old bucket he found. Everyone asked why and what was he going to do with it. He didn’t have an answer. Florida man mist do Florida man things.

Posts: 659 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Go to the link in the first post, there is a video and it's shown hanging straight up.

Is saw that and that gator looks a lot bigger. The guy in the picture is an alligator trapper named Billy Girard. The incident with the dog happened on the 12th and he caught the gator on the 14th.

There’s pictures of Mako at this: Link. I don’t know how to post them here.

“Mako a 3 year old explosive detection K9 was attacked by this 12'6" gator at the city park. Luckily his owner Fisher Greene was able to rescue him from the gators clutches and I was able to remove the gator before he could cause anymore harm. Thanks to fisher, his gf kylee and his dad Matt and his fire fighter crew for helping me load this big guy up. Mako should make a full recovery!“

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Many years ago the day before we arrived for our stay at Marcum Park in Florida a dog being walked near the water didn’t fair well. At check in they made it a point to tell us to not walk our schnauzer close to the water. Being from the North you don’t think about those things.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gators are sure nothing to mess with and whatever you do...just a like a lifeguard...don't turn your back on your water.

I had a buddy from flight school at Auburn that had a student back home (Lantana, FL) that was snatched right out of his backyard and into the intracoastal. Horrible way to go!

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

The blurred head shots and blood lead me to believe it is indeed dead.

I just figured the blurred head shot was because the photographer failed to get the gator's permission before taking the photo! Razz Big Grin

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Gators in the driveway are making me rethink my retirement state.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Gators in the driveway are making me rethink my retirement state.

FL is just a giant hot swamp filled with lots of with things that can kill you, including all of the blue hairs driving around all willy nilly

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Kill shot on a gator is the almond shaped indent behind the eye. A .22 works fine.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I got a box or two of .22 made by CCI called
Choot ‘Em!

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I stress to all of our out of town guests that if there is water, there is most likely a gator.
We had a 7 ft gator about 4 houses up the street from us 2 weeks ago. FWC officer came by and took it for a ride.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A little more about Mako:

“Mako a 3 year old Belgian Malinois. He is my world. He loves all people and is just a happy go lucky dog. Him & I work together as an explosives detection team and currently work in port Canaveral. we were swimming in a foot of water & an alligator grabbed him. We all jumped on the gator & somehow got it to let him go.“

posted Hide Post
[IMG] [/IMG]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post