SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New cars with no CD players
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New cars with no CD players Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
But what about those of us who love CD's and want to listen in our cars? What do you do? Do you have a separate compact disc player your plug into the UBP port?

Any recommendations?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I didn't like it either. I transferred all my favorite CDs to USB drives and plug them into the port. It saves a lot of room in the console. When the vehicle goes to the dealer, I don't have to remove all the CDs to prevent theft. If I forget to remove the USB drive and one gets stolen, not a big issue.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought we'd have a problem with that three years ago, with our new Pacifica.

After I loaded every CD that was in the old van onto one single thumb-drive, I found we needed a lot less storage space, and the "problem" was gone. That assumes that your new vehicle accepts a thumb-drive.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I just load everything on a USB drive.

I suppose you could use a Walkman type player and use the 3.5mm jack.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Well now comes the question, can I copy CD's from my Macbook CD drive onto a thumb drive without special software. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot. Big Grin

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
How many CD do you have?

I have over 3,000 tunes on my iPhone and just stream them bluetooth to the car stereo. Have a few playlist made for different moods / occasions.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
There are a few portable CD players with Bluetooth or an FM transmitter.

You may also be able to wire in a CD changer depending on your specific vehicle and/or aftermarket support

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
How many CD do you have?

I have over 3,000 tunes on my iPhone and just stream them bluetooth to the car stereo. Have a few playlist made for different moods / occasions.

I have a lot, but my routine prior to this new car was to just take one or two with me and after a day or two, exchange them with a couple others. I also enjoyed taking books on CD out of the library for road trips. Coincidentally, my phone is about maxed out and old, so I'm preparing for an upgrade. I guess I can transfer some onto a new phone.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
There are a few portable CD players with Bluetooth or an FM transmitter.

You may also be able to wire in a CD changer depending on your specific vehicle and/or aftermarket support

I'll look into those options too.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
When my factory unit stopped ejecting CDs I acquired an aftermarket unit from Crutchfield that allows me to play CDs, MP3s plugged into the AUX port (using an old smartphone, in my case) and Micro SD cards. The one thing I miss is I no longer have steering wheel controls, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My "forever" car luckily has an in dash CD hard drive unit in the stereo. I've yet to upload all my CD's to it but am intrigued by this premium sound feature by Honda. Otherwise I would be using the stick in the console USB which I've yet to try. I currently just use the bluetooth option linked with the iPhone which works excellent and 20hrs of tunes that are loaded.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My 1998 MB E430 has a CD changer in the trunk. Opulence, I has it... Big Grin

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I put music on my phone & listen thru Bluetooth. I can change songs from the radio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My old car player had a six disc changer but when I upgraded it I opted for the CD-less version from Alpine.
I rip all my CD's to FLAC and it plays them just fine, actually better and I can have many more to choose from without juggling cd's.
Or just stream from the phone.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mine has a cassette.

Posts: 9548 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Mine has a cassette.

8-track... anyone?
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24182 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Im still using my iPod connected to USB port.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
8-track... anyone?
Big Grin

Funny you should ask. When GM designed the Series 2000 radio chassis, they had an 8-track player in the lineup. Only about 800 or so were sold in 1982 and they were no longer made.

They sell for a crazy amount of cash now.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty easy to rip CD's into MP3's onto your Phone, iPad, iPod or whatever. SO much easier to have them on your device and connect through Bluetooth or direct. I have several Hundred CD's worth of music direct to hand........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Mine has a cassette.

8-track... anyone?
Big Grin

I will never forget driving from Cheyenne, Wyoming to
Seattle in the late 70's listening to a Foreigner 8 Track cassette over and over again.

Today I'm still listening to the same Foreigner songs but I have ALL of them on my iPod or Phone along with 30,000plus other songs.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post