SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart House & Cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart House & Cameras Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Well, I took the plunge and so far pretty pleased with how the technology and solutions have advanced. Last time I looked it was prohibitively expensive and proprietary. Now, between Z-Wave and Zigbee there are a lot of options.

For Cameras, very very pleased with the Wireless Battery powered camera system I went with - the "new" Netgear Arlo Pro. No wires, and battery is supposed to last for 6 mos in "medium" video mode. I'll be happy with 3 months at "best video" and motion sensor set to high. 5 cameras so far, 2 in house, 1 up front and two back.

I went with Samsung SmartThings for the Smarthouse Hub, and GE Z-Wave for my switches, Iris Motion detectors. Everything was purchased through Amazon.

I'm very pleased with how easy to implement. Started putting up Cameras Friday and installing dimmers and switches (12 so far). By Sunday had it running, had some automation routines set and couldn't be happier with results.

I can control my house lighting from anywhere, motion sets off my floods and internal lights - then turns of after a period when no activity. I get text and email alerts pretty much real-time. At any point from anywhere I can tap into my cameras - the video is set to record on motion which works very well.

Still playing with the automation and modes between the Arlo Camera Hub and Smartthings Hub...but this has been dead simple. The wiring of the switches was the most time consuming but overall good results. My wife couldn't be happier, and the motion detectors with lighting response makes her more comfortable. We are a two-story house so this now give both of us better awareness of what is going on - plus convenience of controlling my lighting, fans, etc. from our iPhones.

If you have been considering, I'd say now is not a bad time...I'd been holding off for years, just not happy with the technology. Now, I'm impressed.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting. If you don't mind my asking, how much money do you have into this setup?

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a nice system you've assembled there. I've been looking at the smart home options but hadn't looked at the Netgear Arlo.

quote:
I get text and email alerts pretty much real-time. At any point from anywhere I can tap into my cameras - the video is set to record on motion which works very well.

If you are unable to view the video at the time the motion is detected, is there any provision for recording it and viewing it at a later time without a monthly subscription with a third-party vendor?

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
FlyingScot, I have been researching this as well. The biggest problem I have with the Arlo Pro is the fact they force you to use the cloud. The video can only be backup on a USB drive. Putting it simple..no internet = no video. So if the your ISP goes down then your cameras are dead in the water. If Netgear would change it so you can record your video to your hard drive on your local network then the Arlo would be by far the best.

Posts: 400 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
FlyingScot, I have been researching this as well. The biggest problem I have with the Arlo Pro is the fact they force you to use the cloud. The video can only be backup on a USB drive. Putting it simple..no internet = no video. So if the your ISP goes down then your cameras are dead in the water. If Netgear would change it so you can record your video to your hard drive on your local network then the Arlo would be by far the best.

If you setup the USB Drive (I have a 500 GB drive) and Internet goes down, it will record to the USB. I tested, that works. I don't think you can view the USB contents remotely once the internet is restored. I'm told they are working on a sync back to internet software release - we will see.

From Negear
The way the USB backup works is that it records to the cloud AND the USB drive at the same time...it is desgined that IF the internet goes down the backup USB drive will continue to record as it was prevously set. USB drive can be a stick or hd up to 2TB ( some HD need external power as the port supplies 500ma I believe. ) Two issues... 1) without internet you CAN NOT change commands to the Base/ cameras 2) the USB drive is NOT directly viewable...you must eject the drive AND plug it into a deveice that can read the mp4 files

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
With the Arlo cameras, is there an additional charge for cloud storage?

Posts: 1515 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
That sounds like a nice system you've assembled there. I've been looking at the smart home options but hadn't looked at the Netgear Arlo.

quote:
I get text and email alerts pretty much real-time. At any point from anywhere I can tap into my cameras - the video is set to record on motion which works very well.

If you are unable to view the video at the time the motion is detected, is there any provision for recording it and viewing it at a later time without a monthly subscription with a third-party vendor?

The basic - Free - subscription costs nothing and will hold a rolling 7-days of video. Combine that with USB that holds until full (and will write over if you want) and I think that helps.

You could probably configure it so once setup - the camera system never talks to the internet, but that would cripple some of the options.

-Scottish proverb

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks, FlyingScot.

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Sounds interesting. If you don't mind my asking, how much money do you have into this setup?

GE Z-Wave Switches are $38 on Amazon, Dimmers or Switch. Standalone (1 physical remote switch for a paired Z-Wave dimmer/Switch) are $19.
Arlo Pro Netgear was $440 at Costco for 3 camera setup, I then added two more cameras which are $180 each. The 5 Camera kit is slightly less expensive and should have done that out of the gate
The Samsung Smartthings Hub was $79 on Amazon

Depending on the number of switches, that will drive your cost. I did all my own electrical / switch replacement and configuration. The camera system is a bit more $$ than others, but for what you get I'm happy.

I will say when configuring Z-Wave switches, I had to develop an approach to get then registered as they need to be close the hub...basically pulled one switch off near the hub, then wired up each switch, registered and labeled where it would go - rinse and repeat. Once registered with the hub - you install from closest to hub to farthest as it is a mesh network - each switch repeats and extends the Z-Wave network. Works well once you get it figured out.

-Scottish proverb

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skonie:
With the Arlo cameras, is there an additional charge for cloud storage?

Not for the basic rolling 7-days, no charge. I think 30 days is $8.00/mos. No need to pay - I don't plan on, 7-day rolling + USB is more than enough. I'm configured to record only when motion so most recordings are 14-60 seconds at the most.

-Scottish proverb