SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do I do with live blue crabs?!?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I do with live blue crabs?!? Login/Join 
posted
I spied these at the local Asian market and had to grab some. Now what? They were sold as "blue crabs" (is that correct?), but the people there couldn't tell me what to do with them. I haven't the foggiest idea!! The bodies are about 5" wide, and the shells are hard.

They're alive (mostly) for now anyways, we'll see by the time I get home. Do I HAVE to clean and/or cook them tonight? I have plans and would LOVE to chuck them in the frig or freezer until tomorrow. Any links to appropriate cleaning and or cooking vids or whatever, would be great. Please, and THANK YOU!!!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Boil them with some crab boil and then tear them apart and eat the meat in the legs, claws and body.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Cook it like any other crab?

When dead, crabs release a toxin. So IF I was going to wait a day, I'd clean and freeze them.

It's possible you may be able to just toss them in the freezer as they are. I'm not sure that even kills them...crabs live in some crazy cold environments.

As for cooking...we just boil them until they float. Your crabs look dirty (lol), I'd find a way to wash them with cold water and scrub them clean...but that may be unnecessary. When doing crab on the boat, we just throw them right into a boiling pot of seawater.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Boil them with some crab boil and then tear them apart and eat the meat in the legs, claws and body.

RMD
Same, many many times. They turn orange when cooked, or a brighter color, 20-30 minutes.
I don't know how clean you need to get them if you're boiling them Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I hear there's a special kind of soap that you're supposed to use ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Keep them cool until ready to cook which should be tonight. Don't cook the dead ones. You don't need to clean them. To make them easier to handle before you put them in a pot, you can put them in ice water for a few minutes. That will make them slow moving but you can still tell if they are alive.

Steam them, don't boil them.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.co...y-steamed-blue-crabs

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Maryland crab cakes.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
See a doctor and get rid of them.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Blue Crabs, but we have cooked and eaten bizillions of Dungeness crabs. We just throw them into boiling water with a goodly amount of sea salt and boil them till they turn bright orange. Usually takes 15-20 minutes. Rip the top shell off, clean out the loose stuff (crab butter) crack and eat.

Personally, I wouldn't freeze them without cooking and cleaning them first. I've never heard of anyone doing this.

Edit to add that we put them into ice water after they are cooked to stop them from continuing to cook and getting a little tough.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are blue crabs and they are delicious. I'm not sure any crab is tastier. Some of the bigger crabs are easier to eat, but they aren't any better.

Google "Steamed Blue Crabs" and you'll get dozens of receipes. They are all basically the same, though.

Cook them while they are still alive. That probably means cooking them tonight.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick boil with Old Bay Seasoning and dipped in melted butter and vinegar.

We ate quite a few blue claws when we lived in New Jersey.

It was fun drifting at night in the shallow bays with bright lights- Blue claws can swim and at night they come to the surface.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

It was fun drifting at night in the shallow bays with bright lights- Blue claws can swim and at night they come to the surface.

[regional jesting]Whatever you do, don't use the vile concoction known as Old Bay. It's the solid leftovers from dehydrating water from Cheseapeake Bay.[/regional jesting] Do it the way we do it in the Gulf Coast.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I hear there's a special kind of soap that you're supposed to use ...
Yes and you dont even have to pick them up to wash them. Just put your finger down there and they will hang on while you wash them... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My impressions with these, just like crawfish, is if you don't cook them live you are taking a big chance.

Like a raw-chicken lollipop sort of chance!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
steam them w/ some beer mixed in..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much everyone. I was afraid that I got in over my head as far as how much time I have available tonight. I gave them to a good friend's family, so they will cook and eat them tonight. I have shared this link with them so say Hi to Thad and Kim! LOL thanks again!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) They will keep on ice

B) Slap ya mama is my preference over old bay

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Yup, that's what we use here. Cook until red, spread out a few sheets of newspaper, beer, good to go.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make great pets !!! Razz God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either boil in an Old Bay and water solution or layer them in a steamer, dusting each layer with Old Bay as you stack them. Steam with water, vinegar, and beer.

As you've been warned, only cook live ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post