SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here ever own a VW Karmann Ghia?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here ever own a VW Karmann Ghia? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
A very pretty little classic car. Surely not too hot in power or handling,.. but a classic. Wondering if anyone has experience. What to look out for? What's great about them? Why I should turn around and run to get electroshock therapy for even thinking about one? Smile

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine was into them. He said you always had to look out for "pan rot."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to say, they looked like a VW that had had the wrinkles pressed out.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Hand built body. They rust heroically.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just give me your money and I’ll burn it in front of your eyes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I had a friend in the '60's whose father had one. We used it sometimes to cruise. I believe the running gear was stock bug; no power.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve never owned one, but found them interesting. They were kind of the poor man’s Porsche 356. Lots of performance enhancements for the Bug would probably work for the K-G.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't run! Save one! As with anything that old, it may need some tlc but can be rewarding in the end. Make sure you do your homework and check over the car you are looking at real good. But, yeah, drive it and love it!

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a 1961 Karmann Ghia convertible, bought it when it was a year or two old. Nice little runabout. I enjoyed it. Traded it for a Porsche 356B.

1962 model had an improvement, it was the first year that had synchromesh first gear. 1961 and earlier, you had to double-clutch to downshift into first without grinding and crunching.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Never owned one, but the attraction is easy to see. If televised car auctions are any indication, you may have already missed the opportunity to find a nice one at a reasonable price.

Posts: 13299 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Wife had one in college in the early 80's, does not remember what year it was. She loved it but the Michigan winters/road salt ate up the body. Gave it to her brother who totaled it out a couple of years later. She still talks about that car fondly.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I remember looking at a used one, going to be my first car. Dad would not entertain the idea for a nano second. It surprised me, my aunts had beetles and he wasn't down on them. Hell, he even entertained the idea of a Lancia, for about a half hour.

The old man was into cars a bit, and handy with a wrench. He was adamant about that Karmen Ghia though, mighta been that particular one.

I still like them but have no desire or facilities for upkeep of 50 year old cars. I say get one if you've got the itch and ability to scratch it.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I had a 1973. A great little car and very sexy.

To remove the engine, a 19 mm box wrench, four bolts, pull back as it rests on floor jack. Done

My family owned every VW from the era. Yes every one. Two shipped direct from Germany.

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad had a convertible that he sold when I was pretty young but a month ago we started talking it/them as I am in AZ and he was curious if I could find him a rust/rot free daily driver.

He specifically mentioned the pan rust/rot issues but said it was no different than a Beetle.

At 90 years old I am pretty certain he was not too serious about getting one although my daughter and I discussed, if it were to happen, driving the thing cross county (AZ to MA) and making a You Tube channel of the adventure.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any Karmann Ghia still around at this point is probably restored to an extent. I honestly wouldn't consider one that hadn't been restored.

Before buying one, I'd have it carefully checked by an expert in the model (or at least a Beetle expert), then plan on restoring it again.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9168 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
When I think of the KG, I think rust while growing up in Houston. I was a big VW guy, and I came close to getting one...but each one in reach of my finances had rust.

The Thing was my ultimate VW, followed by the KG and then the fast back. I never did get a specialty VW, but I did have 3 beetles, a Dasher diesel station wagon, a Jetta TDI and a Golf.

If you live in a dry area and find one with no to little rust, more power to you. I drove a convertible my buddy used work on, and I absolutely loved it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a 1961 Karmann Ghia convertible, bought it when it was a year or two old. Nice little runabout

Mine was a 62 version convertible; I was a bug fiend in those days. It was a spectacularly enjoyable 'sporty' experience for those enthusiastic about the VW platform of the day. It was my favorite of the 5 VWs I had in 'olden times'.

The exact cosmetics of that era Ghia are classic; the later styling cosmetics detracted considerably IMHO.

If you can live with 60 year old engineering in a 2 seater while paying inflated prices, go for it.

If you want a safer more reliable yet similarly economic-for-the-times vehicle, I'd investigate newer products.

I became a Datsun 1600/2000 sports car enthusiast. Rarely seen on the roads the last 20 years, there's a reason for that too. The last I tried to drive was somehow appallingly unsatisfactory, especially in cockpit size and features.

The Karmann Ghia is a classic design set on a standard VW bug frame/running gear. They can have rust issues. My 6 volt version was frustrating for electrical gremlins. Sheer power was never that much of an issue for me as I was never really a 'go-fast' driver. With the top down motoring in the pleasant surroundings of SW Idaho in the late 1960s, it was a perfect choice at 25+ mpg with gas at 25 cents/gal. My new 69 bug with all the trimmings cost me $1950. The well-used Ghia cost me $700; sold it with a blown engine for $1200 a few years later.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I was a Cop in Central NJ from 74 to 79. The surrounding towns all used the same frequency for quite a lot of our radio traffic.

One night a pursuit starts in Bridgewater and it's a small sports car, got away from the original Officer in some traffic. But a Raritan Officer picked up the chase in his borough.

Now Raritan was a predominately Italian community....Home to MOH awardee John Basilone by the way. Their Chief was Italian, half the force was Italian as well as mostly his relatives.

Anyway...as the Raritan Officer closes in on this car he mentions ; "There's no license plate....but I think the owner has his name on the car....yeah! It's Carmen Ghia".

Poor bastard NEVER lived that one down.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An advantage to buying the car would be that you could also justify buying a copy of this classic of literature, still available for around $25 - $29:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9168 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Any Karmann Ghia still around at this point is probably restored to an extent. I honestly wouldn't consider one that hadn't been restored.

Before buying one, I'd have it carefully checked by an expert in the model (or at least a Beetle expert), then plan on restoring it again.

In just doing a quick preliminary search on my Dad's behalf I can tell you that the Ghias I found were either full (beautiful) restorations or heavily modded

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post