SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Broken car window.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken car window. Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know if hotels are legally responsible for a broken car window when you stay at a hotel? I know that's what car insurance is there for, but, does the hotel have any legal responsabilities to the guest?

The damage was done by unknown to break into the car.

Posts: 295 | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you provide more details?

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I believe the hotel industry has stated on signs and forms that you assume all risk. Legally I am told that if you are aware of risk and choose to accept then damages are not the sites responsibility. Not an attorney just an engineer.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say only if they're directly responsible for the breakage. Doesn't mean a guy couldn't try to sue.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I can't remember seeing one without signs posted saying hey, park at your own risk. If it wasn't valet parking you're likely barking up a barren tree.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why would you think they should be responsible? Confused

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
No, unless you have proof one of their employees broke it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10531 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffSig2022:
Does anyone know if hotels are legally responsible for a broken car window when you stay at a hotel? I know that's what car insurance is there for, but, does the hotel have any legal responsabilities to the guest?

The damage was done by unknown to break into the car.

I liked your longer description better.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You usually waive hotel liability as a condition of parking. Look for the sign in the lot or the waiver on the back of your parking or valet tag. You might be able to get out of it but lawyers are more expensive than new windows and the hotel already paid a lawyer to come up with the waiver.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hotel is usually not responsible. You might ask if there is any surveillance tape available. If this is an upscale hotel in an upscale area the police might come out and file a report. I would at least report it since these sorts of things happen in clusters.
If it is a Motel 6 in the hood. Good luck.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read your more lengthy post. Mexico. I think you did pretty well. Consider yourself lucky.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was broken into last month. I lost a front passenger window so some lowlife loser could have my GPS. The dumbass didn't even take the cable.

The window was only $120 installed the next day. The GPS cost twice that.

You could talk to the hotel management. They may comp the room anyway.

A few years ago I parked my S2000 in a hotel lot. During the night, the sprinklers bathed my car in hard water. The next morning the car was covered with hard water deposits. Management comped my $100 room.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post