SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automotive Question - Auto Stop
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automotive Question - Auto Stop Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The default on the new RAV4 is that it shuts the engine off at stop lights/signs.

It's so transparent, I didn't fully realize what was happening until I glanced at the tach and it was on zero. You do have the option of overriding it with a button on the dash.

My question is this: Is it really saving anything? Maybe a teaspoonful of gas, yes, but wouldn't the wear and tear on the battery and starter more than outweigh that?

At 170-ish miles and just now coming off the full mark, the computer says I'm getting a shade over 40MPG. I find that hard to believe and past experience indicates that the computer is almost always optimistic. I'll do the math at fill-up. I'll be happy with anything over 30 and shickled titless with anything over 35.

Ich bin ein Deutscher, records VILL be kept!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15245 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would rather buy gas than a starter and much easier to "install".

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I would rather buy gas than a starter and much easier to "install".

That's my thinking as well.

Posts: 15245 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I despise the auto-off feature.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t you disable it?

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The charging system, starter motor, and battery on these vehicle are supposedly beefed up to handle all the additional starts.

For more fun, be sure the automatic parking brake doesn't drain your battery if you leave it sit for an extended period. PG 224 of the manual according to the interwebs.

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Can’t you disable it?

Yes, there's a button on the dash, but you have to disable it every time as far as I know. I'll check to see if I can change the default.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My new Gladiator has it too, trying to train myself to just turn it off every time I start it up.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^Yep.
Most of these auto-stop cars have an AGM battery & supposedly a beefier starter/alternator.

I tracked it on my F150 & saw no appreciable difference in any mode (Normal, Sport, Tow, with auto-stop off or on) in normal driving.
Same in the Mercedes, no real difference with it on or off, apart from getting toasty when it's TX summer temps.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
For more fun, be sure the automatic parking brake doesn't drain your battery if you leave it sit for an extended period. PG 224 of the manual according to the interwebs.

I'll put that on my list of things to bitch about when I take it in for service.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Unless someone has an aftermarket solution, you won't be able to disable the auto Stop.

The Lincoln has it, it's annoying but nothing IMO worth being concerned about unless you keep cars beyond warranty periods, since the goal would be to keep it working though that period, after that the manufacturer really isn't concerned.

I wouldn't own a new vehicle without a warranty, not because of some manufacturer issues, but because the tech being put into the cars is advancing at a significant pace the electronics in a car are massively expensive.

Imagine the costs you'll have out of pocket if the main screen in your Tesla or Ram Pickup goes out, and the whole vehicle won't run, and you'll be out big bucks.

Posts: 23487 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My last & current BMW has it. I hate it, especially the last car, which was a stick. Easy to defeat, I just leave it in Sport mode which disables it Big Grin .

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have this on my new 2020 Kia Soul. It can be disabled by pushing a button every time I start the car....as long as I remember to do it. I must admit that the operation is seamless when I forget.

That said, I would rather not have it. All the gas savings were spent paying for the beefed-up components. Total BS.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the last gas saving attempt of GM, they had the 8-6-4 V8 in the Cadillacs, when you were driving the computer sensed how you were driving and cut power to the ignition to shut down cylinders from fuel and spark.

Didn't really do what they thought it would, saving the world.

25 years ago the government had AC companies create a loop between the AC compressor and your hot water heater to recover any hot water/heat from the AC unit when it ran to help reduce water heater power use.

Once again claiming that the heat/power savings "as a group" would be fantastic, it wasn't, and it added more problems...

Posts: 23487 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The big difference with the auto-stop is that the fuel lines and cylinders stay pressurized, so the spark does more work of the work than the starter motor.

It used to be that manually shutting off your car and restarting it took around 30 seconds of fuel, so of your were to idle longer than 30 seconds it made more sense to just shut it off.

The new method uses less than 5 seconds of fuel, and in theory will save much more in emissions over the life of the car.

TL : DR It's more about overall emissions vs. fuel mileage, and doesn't rely on the starter as mush as a cold start does.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My 2018 Tiguan has this "feature." Bothered me at first, but I quickly got used to it. On the Tiguan, at least, if you partially lift off the brake, the engine will restart, and will not shut off subsequent when the brake is reapplied. The car does not have to roll for this to happen. The auto-shutoff can also be disabled in Settings on the control panel.

ISTR I read in an earlier thread here on SF about this subject that the starter is not what restarts the car after an auto-shutoff, but that the computer "remembers" which cylinder is charged and under compression on the power stroke, and simply fires that spark plug to get things rotating again. If someone more automobile-knowledgeable than me can confirm this, I'd be interested to know if it is true as it would alleviate any concern about over-wearing the starting system.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2019 Durango. Have it and hate it. At least I can override it with the dashboard button. Dodge service dept. has so far refused to disable it.
Stupidest vehicle add-on ever.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, there's a button on the dash, but you have to disable it every time as far as I know. I'll check to see if I can change the default.

I wedged a folded piece of paper between the switch and the dash plastic, to keep from having to push the stupid button every single time I get in the truck....my dad got a wooden wedge you use for door installation and he cut off a small piece and does the same thing.

The dealers won’t change your programming because the on/off thing is part of their epa regs...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in rentals a lot for work, 90% of new cars have this feature I'd guess. Always fun to survey the dash when I get in one I'm not familiar with.

I've read that some can be disabled "for good" if that switch is controlled by its own fuse.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^Yep.
Most of these auto-stop cars have an AGM battery & supposedly a beefier starter/alternator.

I tracked it on my F150 & saw no appreciable difference in any mode (Normal, Sport, Tow, with auto-stop off or on) in normal driving.
Same in the Mercedes, no real difference with it on or off, apart from getting toasty when it's TX summer temps.

Actually the Gladiator comes standard with 2 batteries. The second one is about the size of a lawn mower battery and sits underneath the main one. The new Wranglers (JL) probably have them as well. There is a program that you can plug into the OBD2 plug to disable it. I believe it is called a Tazer.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post