SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Towing a trailer - parking and tongue weight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Towing a trailer - parking and tongue weight Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Well, I finally got my trailer assembled (made in USA except for non-critical parts like the coupler, leaf spring and wheels).

Took it on the road for the first time - my first ever experience towing a trailer. Mostly, it went well. No issues driving, turning, 3 point turn.

One issue. I get the concept on how to do it. But in practice, it was very difficult for me to reverse park the trailer in a parking lot (I used an empty lot). It took me about 5 minutes of going back and forth. I'm going to need a lot more practice parking the trailer in a typical lot. Parking has been probably my biggest concern with towing a trailer. I'm going to guess that drive through parking (drive straight into a parking spot that allows for both car and trailer and then continue to drive straight when leaving the parking spot) will be rare.

Question on loading. I understand that the tongue weight is supposed to be about 10-15% of the gross trailer weight. But after loading up the kayaks such that they are evenly distributed (by weight) on top of the two cross bars, I think the tongue weight is higher than 15%. 200lb trailer + 140lb of kayaks (70 x 2) is about 340lb. So, the tongue weight should be about 35-50lbs. I'll measure it next opportunity but lifting the trailer by the tongue felt like more than 50 lbs.

Do I even need to worry about this given that this is all relatively light compared to the capability of the car? Or should I prioritize tongue weight being 10-15% over evenly distributing the kayak weight over the two cross bars?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12804 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
What do you have for a tow vehicle and what is the length of the trailer?

Posts: 7402 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
LX570. Length of trailer is 160 inches - ball to tail. Long tongue to accommodate up to 20 foot kayak.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12804 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if you have too little tongue weight it will want to whip. backing up is easy just think small corrections. shorter the wheel base the quicker the trailer reacts, just make small adjustments.

Posts: 5620 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Better to have a bit too much tongue weight than too little. As XLT said, tail will want to wag with a light tongue. On backing, some people find it easier to back if they put their steering hand on the bottom of the steering wheel because they are then moving their hand in the direction they want the trailer to go. And, yes, short trailers react quickly to minor adjustments so keep the adjustments small.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3770 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Reversing a short trailer like yours will be very frustrating. If you get into a really tight situation, you have the option to unhook the trailer and park it manually. Follow the advice above and practice.

BTW, you might want to get a spare wheel and tire for the trailer.

Posts: 3235 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Backing up short trailers is harder than long trailers. Usually though, the only backing I do is when I get to the destination or back home. Destinations are either boat ramps or campsites. Your trailer is small and light enough that I wouldn't consider backing it up 99% of the time. I'd just unhitch it and move it by hand.

You could have 100 pounds of tongue weight with your trailer and it wouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 11134 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189: Your trailer is small and light enough that I wouldn't consider backing it up 99% of the time. I'd just unhitch it and move it by hand.

I agree. I think I’m pretty dang good at backing trailers, but short ones can be a son of a gun.

My RZR on the trailer weighs about 1500 and I can easily lift the tongue and push it. (I’m no weightlifter, either).

Tandem axle boat trailer is a different deal. You’d better be able to back that in, because you aren’t pushing it very far and definitely aren’t turning it by hand.

Posts: 8978 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best advise I got about backing a trailer is "if you are not in control of the trailer you are backing too fast",

Practice and you will be fine. Do not worry about how quick you can get it where you want it.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
One thing that surprised me - a small trailer is way way harder to back up than a large trailer.

*looks like others here have struggled with them too

Posts: 17928 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
As many have said, backing up a small trailer is much more difficult than a long one.
A couple things to think about when backing:
1- Go SLOW
2- Make very small corrections
3- Put your hands on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go (it's reversed from using the top of the wheel). This makes it easier to control IMO.
4- Be patient, and practice. Don't get frustrated it only makes it harder.

Good luck!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's been said yet Big Grin but backing a small (short) trailer is much more difficult than, say, a 30-foot camper. Get comfortable using your mirrors and get comfortable with determining direction of movement with the bottom of the steering wheel. And if someone is helping you, make sure they understand (1) if you can't see them, they're not very useful and (2) you don't need them telling you which way to turn your steering wheel, just the direction the trailer needs to go.

You'll get the hang of it. Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
10-4 on a small trailer being easy to jackknife. Steer from the bottom is good advice. Push the wheel in the direction the trailer should go and make small moves going slow. Small Moves!

Use your safety chains and coupler safety pins. I was using a screw/nut for a coupler hitch pin and the nut backed off and the coupler let go. My trailer had a jack with a wheel on it that cranked up and my safety chains were on. I-75 just about Ocala 3am towing a bassboat. It was hairy but no bad news. Had I had a swivel jack folded up the trailer would have probably flipped but luck was with me.

Posts: 4719 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Such a small trailer and light load your tongue weight should not be an issue. Your vehicle will in no way be overloaded, which causes much of the sway issue.

Over correction, one principle I like to tell people is this. Would you ever expect to turn the wheel 2 turns if you were already parked and leaving that spot? You should not need to do it getting into the spot then.

Another thing to pay attention to is this, it takes distance (let's say half the trailer length) for the trailer to react to steering inputs. With a short trailer that distance might well be used by the vehicle as the trailer wheels are rotating around the axis of the axle. So a moderate amount of input applied in anticipation of turning in reverse.

If the corners of the trailer aren't visible in your mirror consider putting some sort of marker stick there. When they are aligned they should appear as one, as you turn they separate and you can more easily gauge the orientation. Of the trailer.

Finally don't force things while in reverse. You'll end up with a jacked or bumper corner as the tongue meets the bumper. With such a light trailer it's sometimes expedient to uncouple move the bastard by hand and get along with life.

I drive a semi for a living. It is easier for me to back a 53' trailer than a 48' which is multiple times easier than a 28'trailer. I look like a fool with a 4'x8' utility behind my p/u truck.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5184 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Friend, read my posting very well, learn and understand what I'm about to say, and REMEMBER it.

The biggest secret and absolutely most important thing to do when backing a trailer is...... THE SETUP !!!

If you start backing up all cartywampus to where you want to back up to, then you will be making all sorts of huge movements to get the trailer where you want it. AVOID THESE SITUATIONS as best you can.

Here's the professional thing to do: SET UP THE BEST YOU CAN BEFORE YOU EVER PUT IT IN REVERSE.

As you are still in forward motion, or stop if you can safely do so, LOOK at where you want the trailer to end up. Visualize it in your mind. Then proceed with forward motion and do your best to maneuver your vehicle and trailer so that they are as close as possible in alignment with each other, and with the spot you wish to back into and end up with. The LESS maneuvering in reverse the better off you are, conversely the more gyrating you must do is much harder.

2 other things, before you back up, GET OUT AND LOOK, and also avoid blind side backing.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Great info and tips above.

I'll not worry about the tongue weight being over 15% -- for the size and weight we're talking about, I'll prioritize balancing the load over the cross bars or even make it a little front end heavy.

I'll try to get a better hang of controlling direction while reserving.

But I like the suggestion above: just disconnected the trailer and park it hand.

So, in a typical parking lot, I'll:
1) look for a parking spot that will allow drive through. If not available, then
2) hand park the trailer.

I'll need to find something I can use as a night visible marking so that someone doesn't drive into my coupler when the trailer is parked.

Some sort of rod that I attach to the tongue? Or do you guys just use safety cones or something/

To me, this trailer was relatively long (similar to a 10' utility trailer?). So it's funny when you guys call it a short trailer given the stuff you guys pull (35' etc).

Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
(2) you don't need them telling you which way to turn your steering wheel, just the direction the trailer needs to go.

You'll get the hang of it. Good luck.

Ain't that the truth! I drive a bucket truck and wood chipper daily. When a new guy tries to give me directions when reversing by spinning his finger in a circle I have no idea which way he wants me to go. Just tell me which way you want the back of the trailer to go and make sure I can see you. Also, there is a delay in reaction for the trailer to start going where you want. It is different for every trailer but you will learn quickly.

Posts: 3235 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

To me, this trailer was relatively long (similar to a 10' utility trailer?). So it's funny when you guys call it a short trailer given the stuff you guys pull (35' etc).

You'll be fine. You're probably over thinking it, but that's to be expected when you're doing something completely new. For reference, this is what I haul 5 kayaks, 5 bicycles, sometimes an ATV, and yes, the kitchen sink with:

Posts: 11134 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea - I get in concept which way to turn the steering wheel. The difficulty I was having was:

1) the delayed reaction in the trailer responding to steering wheel movement

2) the amount of steering wheel movement required to is larger than the amount I would use to just back the truck in properly

3) Seems like I need to overcompensate a bit on the steering wheel once I get the trailer going where I want. And then bring the steering wheel back to neutral.

Tricky stuff. New respect for guys reversing trailers and making it look so easy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I'll need to find something I can use as a night visible marking so that someone doesn't drive into my coupler when the trailer is parked.

Some sort of rod that I attach to the tongue? Or do you guys just use safety cones or something/

Most trailers have a reflector on the side of the tongue, but that's about it. Some reflective tape would be fine. Unless you're parked in the driving lane, there's no reason to mark it.

Posts: 8978 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post