SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are “Tire Chains” still the preferred product to use when driving on ice/snow
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are “Tire Chains” still the preferred product to use when driving on ice/snow Login/Join 
posted
It has been many years since I have even thought about this topic (driving on ice/snow packed roads in an emergency) so I thought I would ask since today we have 1” of ice on everything that will remain for the next two days.

I ask because having older parents (and we are getting older ourselves) what is the newest and bestest thing to attach to my vehicles wheels ONLY in the event we had to get on these roads (where we live the county road crews do not salt or sand the roads when this type weather hits). Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The first best thing to put on your wheels for driving on snow and ice are tires properly rated for driving on snow and ice. There are some outstanding options out there.

I'm in Missouri which isn't exactly Alaska, but we do deal with snow and ice conditions. I've never run chains. My tires have always been good enough, even in rural unplowed areas.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15737 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The best thing to do in actual "ice" is to stay off the road, period.

Now if you are in a real winter area and you get the normal snow and ice a good winter rated all season is good enough for the majority if you have an awd 4wd rig.

I have much experience in real winter driving. Chains are relegated to the traverse of real mountain pass' in winter conditions when that cannot not be avoided.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chains are preferred but only in extreme conditions. I don't imagine what you are describing counts. The suggestion above is the smart play. Buy 4 snow tires mounted and just put them on at the appropriate time.

Last time I used chains was the highway mountain pass going up to Lake Tahoe. I want to say it was required. That was extreme. I wouldn't do that again by choice.

ORC is right. If you actually need chains you should probably stay off the road.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If studs are legal in your state they work well but are not allowed in some states due to road damage.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 325 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've driven on iceroads in arctic circle, lived in Alaska, lived in Canada, and lived in Upper Midwest so I've driven on a lot of snow and ice. I've driven on snow and ice with all-season tires, studless winter tires, and studded winter tires.

Here is what I do in Texas - nothing. I don't leave home during the rare snow event every few years. The reason is I'd be surrounded by people who can't safely drive in snow and ice. It snowed here yesterday, and my truck never left the garage yesterday. Meanwhile, it was crash up derby all over Houston highways and streets.

In the event of an emergency, for the OP (i.e. lives in Mississippi):
  • I don't think winter tires would be worth it. To deploy even reasonably fast you'd have to have to have a second set of wheels and tires which will cost $1400+ (~$1000 tires and ~$400 cheap ass wheels). Further, driving on them all winter isn't a viable option in the South. This week in Houston was 17 this morning and it'll be 70 by Thursday, and the winter tires would wear fast at 70 so you'd be pissing away $1000+ if you drove on them all winter.
  • Tire chains are a viable emergency option as they can sit in a bag until needed, and I used to keep a set in my truck in Alaska (4wd truck with studded tires and rear wheels chains were in a bag in my covered bed). There is a trick for putting them on without using jacks and you should practice before a storm hits. BTW, it'll be a rough ride and you'll feel like your dental work has rattled loose.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23348 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Chains are still used but, usually for the most severe conditions or, you're attempting to drive a 2wd bucket around a winter area.

Snowtires for both auto and trucks have come long ways over several decades. Just make sure they're rated for ice/snow conditions, as mud tires aren't going to do it. Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice and Yokohama Iceguard are pretty popular studless snow tires for autos.

You can also drill studs into the current tires or, have a shop do it. Check local regs and prices, as I understand you might be better off just purchasing a set of Winter tires instead.

As others have pointed out, if the road conditions are just too icy, you don't go out; usually its the other drivers you have to watch for. You hunker-down, read a book, watch movies, clean/organize the house, etc....

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Although I have lived in Alabama most of my life, we still get occasional snow and ice, like last night in the Birmingham metro area. I drove into work on icy roads, in my truck with the 4WD selector set to "Auto" (basically all wheel drive, rear drive biased).

Anyway, an article I read several years ago (25+) talked about how the amount of siping that tires have makes the biggest difference in traction in ice and snow and wet conditions. The sipes are the small "cuts" in the tread block, that actually flex and provide the grip. In certain conditions, they are better than chains.

Posts: 493 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    My experience is that it isn't so much the slippery conditions that cause difficulties, assuming that you drive sanely, but the other drivers out there that cannot seem to moderate their acceleration, braking and steering inputs in sub-optimal conditions.

Posts: 6520 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Non-Miscreant
    posted Hide Post
    No, a Jeep is.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18390 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of powermad
    posted Hide Post
    The A/T tires I have work well in the snow till I start plowing with the bumper.
    Ice is a whole nother issue.
    They are calling for an ice storm today and I called out for work.
    The last time I got stuck at work during an ice storm took me 6 hrs to go 15 miles.
    Doesn't matter if you have the most capable rig on the planet, it does you no good when there are cars spun out and stuck all over the place.

I went through the sales trucks, chain take off pile.
    Pulled a wheel off and sized a pair of good ones for it right after I got new tires for it several years ago.
    I was at work when it hit the one time and was able to get my rig in the shop, air the tires down a bit, jack it up and install the chains, air back up after they are secured.

Next time I'll chain the front wheels instead, should pull the hills around here a bit better.
    I'll chain up to get home but now days I just stay put if it says ice.

Posts: 1483 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    Trust me if you get tire chains and leave them in the box till needed I will be willing to bet good money you will not be able to get them back into the factory box.... As well as they can be a royal pain in the rear end when installing or removing them... Studded tires prefered but using the grey matter between your ears can be just as efficent.. Driving experence during Alaskan winters.. ... drill sgt.

Posts: 2030 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    2nd set of wheels and mounted Blizzaks for me. On all of my family's cars. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Posts: 11400 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks guys for your feedback. Roads are still ice but all of the family members we help care for are doing good. We stocked everyone up with the needed extras along with extra blankets in the event there was a power loss. So far everyone is doing good.

The main reason for asking about this is because of the ice on the roads but also because the low temps tonight will be close to 0 degrees F, which is cold for MS.

My truck is 2 wheel drive and the wife’s van is front wheel drive so if we get a call for help from a family member our plan is to go in her front wheel drive vehicle (has newer tires also).

Roads should start improving tomorrow and be drivable by Thursday. Until then our plan is to stay put. The only vehicle we saw today on our road was a UTV and it was sliding all over the road because it was two teenagers acting stupid.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    For real?
    Picture of Chowser
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by r0gue:
    2nd set of wheels and mounted Blizzaks for me. On all of my family's cars. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

This is what I do up here in Ohio.
    I thought about doing the new ALL WEATHER tires but decided it's better to have dedicated winter setups. If I ever move further south, I'll switch to an All Weather setup.

I've advised family to stay in because I'm not worried about them driving, I'm worried about everybody else not being able to drive safely. Some idiot was on the wrong side of the road earlier tonight driving at me and it wasn't even snowing yet.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8034 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    Good snow tires make all the difference in actual snow, and I switch every winter before the first serious flakes. I imagine that the softer tires also help some on real ice that’s very rare here, but they’re not going to keep one safe from other drivers. In a situation like yours when even snow tires would very seldom be needed, I’d get a set of chains just in case you absolutely, positively had to go someplace on icy roads driving at a third or less of your normal speed. But that would only be in a true emergency situation, and even then I might call for assistance from some sort of public service agency.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47422 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    IMO yes chains are the best for traction on snow and especially ice. Most everyone used them when I was young but now I can't remember the last time I saw them on a car. I doubt many even know how to put them on anymore?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    For the situation you describe you may want to look at tire socks or snow socks as they are sometimes called. They're basically short term snow tires.

Snow tires are a softer material with extra siping to grab snow. The weight of the vehicle then momentarily fuses the snow to the ground snow or ice giving you traction. The socks do the same thing. They just don't last as long as a snow tire. They're basically a few time use thing.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Speedbird
    posted Hide Post
    20 years later I am still amazed how a set of Pep Boys chains got my early 00’s VW Jetta thru some really bad conditions on very steep back roads.

I will repeat, they are a HUGE PITA to install. Not to mention retightening after a quarter mile and high risk of failure, body damage etc. in my experience with these and military applications, exceeding 25 mph increase failure rate exponentially.

Allow plenty of extra time for the above. Also consider getting gross and wet removing them. Helps a lot to jack up each wheel to install vs drive on method. Finally, if possible install the night before. AND figure out a way to stow them so they will dry out when removed. (I learned the hard way in regards to the retainers and bungees)

You mention getting up in age and possibly limited physical ability… chains outside of a 911 emergency may not be for you.

(Now there are some less hardcore options like cables and synthetic materials, I have no experience with these and hope never to need them again)

Posts: 508 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    I keep a set under the back seat. I think I've used them once or twice in the past 30 years or so. The only real time to have them is when either stuck or getting stuck is imminent, and with 4WD, that is downright rare. Disable any and all computerized driving assistance and just learn how to drive, steer, and brake on icy/snowy roads with whatever type of vehicle you have (FWD, RWD, 4WD). Good and appropriate tires are a bonus, and recommended, but you can still drive safely on ice and snow with even less than adequate tires. You just need to know how. Find a large parking lot (preferably one without lightposts in it Big Grin) and practice.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post