SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1988 World Series Game 1: Vin Scully calls Kirk Gibson's memorable at-bat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1988 World Series Game 1: Vin Scully calls Kirk Gibson's memorable at-bat Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Bottom of the 9th, two out, one man on-base, down by one...

Gotta love it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Watched it real time with my 8 yr old son. We went nuts.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I remember watching this live in a bar in Arlington (Whitey's - RIP), and being absolutely spell-bound. I mean you knew it was coming, but when it did, you couldn't believe it. Heck, I was even rooting for the A's.

Baseball is known for dramatic head-to-head matchups, but Gibson getting up there, fighting off his injuries, and prevailing is one of the true classics.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss Vin. Total class act.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotta love it.

One of the most inspirational moments in Baseball History, IMO. Cool

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it all, the whole damn thing,
From the third base nose bleed seats,
7 innings of " chances are looking bleak"

And then this

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
That was awesome!
Thanks for posting.

As a Cardinals fan, I also enjoyed seeing the young Tony LaRussa and Mark McGwire.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Magic. Those were good days. I was a total junkie for the Cubs and baseball.

Eckersley was tough. Such a clutch home run.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I believe Gibby also did something similar in the 84 WS.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I was watching this game as a kid, and can well recall losing my mind when he hit this ball. What a game, you almost couldn't write it better.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had gone to a show that evening with some friends at the State Fair Music Hall (Dallas) and I started up the car and turned on the radio just at the half-inning commercial break. It was on CBS Radio and Jack Buck was doing the broadcast.

When Gibson hit the ball, what I remember most was hearing Buck yell, “I don’t believe what I just saw! I don’t BELIEVE what I just saw!”

I’d taped the game on our then-state-of-the-art VCR, so when we got home I ran the tape. As much as I liked how Jack Buck called a baseball game, Scully was a bit better this time.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I don’t believe what I just saw! I don’t BELIEVE what I just saw!”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
One of the most clutch, bad ass, AB’s in baseball history.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think there could be any more drama in a baseball game. Thanks for posting Balze.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
I miss Vin. Total class act.

I do too. I listened to Vin and Jerry from 1958 on. Best play by play EVER.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Pretty good World Series line there for Gibson--he batted 1.000.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also watched it real time. Born and bred a Giants fan so I hate the dodgers and was rooting for the A’s. But that was clutch.

Of course you know how a dodger fan watches their last World Series win ? On a VCR. Lol

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it well. I'm a St. Louisan, and of course, Cardinals fan, with plenty of great Cardinals memories. But that at-bat was as good as it gets. I choke up every time I see a clip of it.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, Gibson starts the at bat down 0-2 and works it back to a full count before hitting the home run. I remember walking in the door just as the at bat was taking place. Incredible. It never gets old for me, especially being a Dodgers fan.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I know/knew most of the people that made that bat, including my mom.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post