SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the press free and fair?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the press free and fair? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As many other have said they're free but not fair.

Flawed poll that should have been 2 separate questions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of those in the "Free, yes; fair, no" camp. Not because there ins't decent news sources out there, but because the primary news sources that deliver content to the otherwise uncritical masses are not in any way, fair.

I may like the content I get on some sources better than others, but that doesn't mean that they are fair, and it's pretty clear that the major news sources, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR/PBS, Fox, NYT, WaPo, LATimes, etc., are not interested in fair, they are either interested in revenue, or acclaim from their particular bubble.

The biggest problem is that the uncritical masses get their news from shallow, biased sources, with a penchant for more clicks based on emotional triggering, and then bending the coverage to support their internal biases.

It's a shitty system, but it's the best one we have at the moment, and we can only hope that the market will eventually correct the problem.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm not even sure its considered free considering its been bought and paid for by Soros, Steyer and Bloomberg

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
No, and I don't believe that we ever have. Everyone has an agenda.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Free, but you have to buy a paper or mag or TV to receive their crap.
Fair, not by a long shot.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
As has been opined by others, yes to the former and no to the latter.

Posts: 3154 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
not free --- Because it seems getting a WH press pass is a good 'ol boys club of some kind. I'm not free to set up a "printing press" (or web news service) and get the same access as the existing WH press pass holders. If the government issues passes only to the MSM, then it's not "free" of any government imposed criteria, is it?

Not fair -- already covered by others.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free - yes
Fair - not by a long shot.
Objective - BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Free, yes.
Fair no. They all have a bias.
Most of it is show business and ratings. And big egos.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I'm not even sure its considered free considering its been bought and paid for by Soros, Steyer and Bloomberg

I agree. The country's "press" is owned and controlled by a few corporations and you can bet they also control the content released to the public. And since this press controls the vast majority of information that gets out there, they can tailor the news to their liking. And it is not a stretch that some of these corporations are also at the same table as government politicians.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The press has always been biased and used for political purposes. The newspaper “wars” from the early presidential contests are well documented.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
My degree is in journalism and the industry hasn't been professional or ethical for decades. The pompous arrogance of presenting the outraged opinions of the left has reduced our country's journalistic industry ,as a whole, into little more than than an appendage of the DNC.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Free but not fair

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post