SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever find something you didn't know you had?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find something you didn't know you had? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Often tools. Not too long ago I thought I was going to need some 3/8 female torque sockets for a project, so I ordered a set. As it turned out I didn’t need them after all. Figuring it’s not something I would use very often, I didn’t keep it with my normal tools, I took it down in the basement to put in one of the rollaway toolboxes. I opened the drawer and set them down… right next to another brand new set of 3/8 female torque sockets. Hmmm.

THAT is funny. Done it too. Ever found THREE (aka 3) copies of the same tool for the same reason ? Ask me how I know. Ha !! God I hope they weren't Snap Ons..

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Like a kid…….?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I did just solve the mystery of the missing key.

June of 2020 I noticed that the valet key to my Honda was missing from the key ring.
I've tore the house and garage up more times than I can count and drove my wife nuts over it.
I was always on the lookout for it.

Saturday I'm at work and need one AC line o-ring.
I go poking around in my big box and in the top drawer in a small box with o-rings and such is this gray Honda Valet key.

Yep, it's the one...
I put it there to have a spare key at the shop and don't remember doing that.
A deliberate action on my part too, not a just set them down and space it off thing.
Multiple steps with a goal.
Remove key from ring.
Put key in lunchbox.
Remove key from lunchbox.
Put key in the top drawer of toolbox.
Forget it ever happened....

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I had been searching for a 3” S&W CS-1 for the better part of a decade and finally found one at a good price shortly following the financial crisis in 2008. Between 2008 and 2010 I ended up with 3 3” models and one 4” model or so I thought. Several years later I was moving things around in my safe and thought I was losing my mind. I had somehow bought a 4th 3” model that I had no recollection of buying. So I guess the answer is yes.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yep, I did. Then I lost it and forgot what it was.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Yep for years I looked for my belt sander gave up on it. Then my friend showed up with it, and I remembered he borrowed it to shape and sand a wooden prop.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Occasionally I find a box full of brass underneath other boxes I forgot about, but keep anything of value typically in the same place. Only thing that went missing and have no idea what I did with it was my pair of msa sordins. Been holding off on buying another pair and using the surefire earpro (normally use them during the summer or with sporting clays) since I know when I buy them I'll immediately find my original pair.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I did just solve the mystery of the missing key.

June of 2020 I noticed that the valet key to my Honda was missing from the key ring.

That triggered my memory. One time I was missing my key fob to our car. I thought I must have drove away and left the key with a hotel valet as, at that time, my wife also carried a key fob. So I spent $300 to get a new one. Years later when moving, I saw the missing key fob tucked away in a folder.

I also found the original title to the car. I thought the dealer never sent it to me so I ordered a duplicate. I shredded one of the titles but found out when I tried to register the car in the new state, I shredded the newer title which superseded the old title. I had to send off for a third title. At least the title was only about $24 and not $300.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:

For some reason it will always be in the last place I look.

So do you ever keep looking after you find the thing you were looking for? Of course not, you stop looking when you find the thing.

Last time I went looking I was trying to find a single person capable of comprehending basic reality in the same way as my twisted sense of humor requires. I haven't found that yet so I must continue looking.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post