SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ~*~Last Minute Favor Request*Central Florida~*~
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

~*~Last Minute Favor Request*Central Florida~*~ Login/Join 
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted
Is there anybody on the forum that knows somebody that can play taps on the bugel for a military funeral in central Florida on 05 October 2018 @1400hrs?

Please contact me at RotndadAT@Gmail.com or (813) 368-8702 (Text or voice).

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
If nobody replies, you might check at a high school for a band member that's capable.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Check a local VFW.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I know a guy. I'm checking to see if he's available on that date.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
VFW or any military bases in Florida? When my dad passed the sub base sent a color guard with a bugalar for his service....it was moving! Dad was a USN vet WW11 so he had that connection even though he wasn’t a submariner.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The guy who I had in mind, a classical & jazz trumpet player, just replied to me. He would be honored to do it for you, except he will be in Israel on that date.

He gave me a good lead for you, though. He is a member of an organization that exists in order to provide exactly the service that you are looking for: Bugles Across America. The provide "Taps" buglers for military funerals.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
A lot of American Legion and VFW Posts use the fake bugle.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. We have exhausted our search with our local VFW, American Legion, etc. The National Cemetery gave us the contact information for the unit at Mac Dill AFB that handles militay funerals and we have arranged for the flag detail as well as a bugler using an "electronic bugle".

I am just trying to do my best to honor my FIL with a live bugler if at all possible. Of course the electronic vesion of taps will suffice if that's all we can arrange. I don't mean to knock that at all. While on active duty I served on several funeral details and found the live version of taps so much more moving and, IMHO more appropriate. I hope this makes some kind of sense. I don't mean to disparage the funeral detail for using an electonic vesion of Taps as I undestand the shortage of the people able to play live. I am just trying to honor the man that gave me the hand of his youngest daughter, my best friend, my soul mate, in the best way I can in the short time I have to accomplish it. It's a daunting task fo sure.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences to you and your family T

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Rotndad,

The funeral director should have the information and should be making the arrangements.

I doubt that it's the first time they had to manage a funeral for a military person.

They'll send at least two people in uniform who will fold the flag and present it to whoever. The taps will most likely be played from a recording. The flag and the taps and military people is what your FIL is due for his service.

It's the funeral director's job to arrange this. It's not like it's a wedding and the people involved will want to have their fingers in it. The people affected are grieving. It's the funeral director's job to make all the necessary arrangements. Did I say that already?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
It's already been suggested to check with local high schools/band directors. M-11 Jr did this on several occasions at our local cemetery. Granted, it was trumpet, not bugle, no one seemed to mind as he was off to the side more or less out of sight.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your loss.

Try the local high school. Any trumpet player can do it. The school may even have a bugle the kid can use.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post