SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water valve - incoming valve and hose faucet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water valve - incoming valve and hose faucet Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm having some plumbing work done on the main water line right before before it enters the house.

There are two valves in that area: one is the main valve shutoff for the house. The other is just downstream of that for a hose, it has some sort of check valve / backflow prevention device (permanently threaded on).

Both valves are the rotating type - you need to keep turning the valve 20 times to open/close. These valves seem susceptible to leaks - I've replaced gaskets on several.

What are my options? Want something reliable, trouble free, high quality.

1. Ball valve appropriate? Or not an advocated valve type for this usage? What would be a good valve type?

2. Brand? Was looking for an american brand / american made valve. Looked at Dramm and Zurn but couldn't find a suitable model. Suggestions?

3. Where do I get one of these back flow prevention check valves that is permanently threaded onto the hose valve. Can't seem to find one of these either. (maybe I don't really know what they are really called in trade).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ball valves are far superior. Apollo makes good ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full Port Ball Valve

Legend, Watts, Nibco...

Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ev...VACBFPZ4EB/205815672

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My plumber uses Watts for everything it seems.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ball valve, hands down!! Apollo and Watts are the go to's around here.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Don’t know where you live, but you may want to replace the faucet with a frost free design

https://www.wilmar.com/Sku/13-...5d11b6e&gclsrc=3p.ds

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Backflow preventers are code in most places now . I have a quarter turn ball valve on my incoming supply . Make sure everybody in family knows where it is . ANYTHING happens , close that valve and call you .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I have a quarter turn ball valve on my incoming supply . Make sure everybody in family knows where it is . ANYTHING happens , close that valve and call you .
During Winter Storm Uri in Texas, the 1/4 turn ball valve on supply line failed on thousands of homes and so did 1/4 turn ball valve doing to sprinkler system, outdoor kitchens, etc.. Ball valves trap water inside the ball and if they freeze they crack out the valve body. Gate valves are a better choice if it's in an area that could freeze (e.g. above ground outdoors).

I had above ground 1/4 turn ball valves on both supply line and sprinkler take-off so I wrapped in towels and wrapped the towels in plastic. Both of mine not only survived but worked perfectly fine ever since. Water was always flowing through the water main (had faucets with pencil lead thickness flow), but the sprinkler system was not running. I did spend the time to drain the backflow preventer so no water was in it or trapped between ball valve and backflow preventer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, we do get ice / frost on the ground in the winter but generally no snow. It does get pretty cold but temp (w/o wind chill) is generally above freezing but can get down to the mid-low 30's...

So, ball valves are generally advocated except for where freezing may be possible. If I'm risk averse, then perhaps it's safer to stick w/ a gate valve (finally have a name for the type of valve in place already) even though I prefer the ball valve (simple, easier, generally more reliable)?

Re-reading: or ball valves as long as I keep some minimal flow during times when freezing is a risk.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
WRT to frost protection on outside faucets...one little trick I've learned is to cut the bottom 2/3's off a milk jug or large soda bottle, fill it with insulating material (e.g. used packing peanuts), and cover the fixture with it. Cut/drill a hole in the bottom center and use a threaded hook to hold it in place. The waste heat from the house will keep the temp. above freezing even in pretty cold weather, and it is easy to remove when Spring finally comes.

Posts: 6507 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
WRT to frost protection on outside faucets...one little trick I've learned is to cut the bottom 2/3's off a milk jug or large soda bottle, fill it with insulating material (e.g. used packing peanuts), and cover the fixture with it. Cut/drill a hole in the bottom center and use a threaded hook to hold it in place. The waste heat from the house will keep the temp. above freezing even in pretty cold weather, and it is easy to remove when Spring finally comes.

Or buy one of these for $3. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Compa...cet-Cover/1000651583

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Any of these not suitable? Or one more recommended than the others? Or these are not the valves I should be looking at? (btw, not sure what full port is vs non-full port; need to look it up)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ap...4ALF10601A/305975197

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ap...-76F10627A/305930310

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zu...-114-850XL/311798860

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
All three of those are ball valves and susceptible to freezing.

But if the valve is 12” underground and it doesn’t freeze for more than a day or two you will be OK.

For instance, last winter here in Texas it was under 20° for over a week. None of the valves underground froze, but pipes in the slab at the edges of the slab and exposed to the freezing air did freeze up and stop water flow in an exterior wall toilet in our MBR bathroom.

My exterior faucets that are not freeze proof froze, but there was no damage in the walls. I did replace them with frost proof after everything thawed out.

The lines to my house are 1” pvc from the meter into the house where it turns to PEX throughout.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If freezing is not a big concern, are the valves okay?

My area: it'll get down to mid to low 30's at night but will generally be higher than 50 during the day during the coldest part of the year. But, there are days when frost/ice will form on the ground and temps may dip briefly overnight below 32. But temps are generally above 32 here.

So, I'm thinking if the concern is below 32 for a few days plus in a row, including day time, then perhaps freezing is not as big a risk as I thought it might be. I do wrap some insulation around the valves and pipes outside. And can trickle the water through the hose faucet or inside the garage sink if necessary.

posted Hide Post
You can bury the water lines 2' deep, and use a permanent extension to turn the ball valve. This works great.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Any of these not suitable? Or one more recommended than the others? Or these are not the valves I should be looking at? (btw, not sure what full port is vs non-full port; need to look it up)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ap...4ALF10601A/305975197

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ap...-76F10627A/305930310

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zu...-114-850XL/311798860

The first one would be fine, if the price was in line.
$$$ holy shit, 50+ bucks for a valve!!!

Full Port is the same size as the pipe for full flow.
Other valves can be restrictive, which lowers the flow rate.

Save yourself some money and buy a valve from these guys.
All three of these are full-port & lead-free for water systems.

If you want Apollo ($30.36):
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ap...Ball-Valve-Lead-Free

If you want Watts ($27.56):
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wa...Ball-Valve-Lead-Free

Or economy, Bluefin ($18.39):
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bl...Ball-Valve-Lead-Free

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
During the Texas freeze I had a water line under my sink rupture and part of my home was flooded. I did not know where the shutoff was and I wouldn't have been able to work it even if I had known. My Handyman has reworked the house shutoff with a 1/4-turn valve that is easy to manipulate, and replaced a broken box that enclosed it. I will now know how to handle things if another rupture happens.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
excam: thanks much for the cheaper sources!

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Backflow preventers are code in most places now . I have a quarter turn ball valve on my incoming supply . Make sure everybody in family knows where it is . ANYTHING happens , close that valve and call you .

Got one of those on my house, turns off water to the house but not water to the drip irrigation system.

I turn off water to the house every time I leave for vacation.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post