SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Savory oat groat porridge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savory oat groat porridge Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Like rolled oats and steel cut oats, oat groats are hulled and toasted, but nothing else is done to them – they’re just whole oat kernels. They make the best porridge that I’ve ever had. Oat groat porridge is easily chewable, but it has an al dente character as opposed to the “al mushy” character of rolled oat porridge.

Here’s how I make it. I put 2-1/2oz of groats and 5oz of Silk Soy Milk (“Unsweet” variety) into a Corelle bowl. Add salt and Accent (MSG) to taste.

No soaking – I cook it immediately. I put 1/2” of water and the canning rack into my pressure cooker. I set the pressure cooker onto my ceramic top range, and set the bowl of porridge on the canning rack in the cooker. The 3/4” high canning rack keeps the bowl above the water. I close the cooker and turn on the range burner. I cook the porridge for 4 minutes, starting the timer when 15 psi pressure is achieved. I adjust the burner to keep steaming at a low level. After 4 minutes I turn off the burner, but leave the cooker on the burner until pressure drops to atmospheric (about 15 minutes).

Then I take the bowl out of the cooker (I use a silicone pinch gripper for that) and immediately add some Marmite to the porridge while it’s near boiling hot (so it dissolves quickly). I haven’t mentioned Marmite until now because I didn’t want to lose too many readers early-on. Smile The Marmite is optional, but it gives the porridge a wonderfully savory flavor that really makes the dish.

I buy these groats:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCYDIKJ/r..._api_i_BkJnCb983AV5A

There are cheaper suppliers, but these are excellent – uniform kernels, no hulls, and practically no dust or broken kernels.

A footnote – how I apply the Marmite: I have a small espresso spoon which I insert vertically into the Marmite jar getting about 1/4” of the spoon tip coated with the viscous Marmite. Then I extract the spoon vertically, lean it over, and twist it to wind up the drip before I move it away from the jar. Then I insert the coated spoon into the very hot porridge and stir until it’s well mixed. After the porridge cools a bit I eat and enjoy.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9008 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am not a medieval peasant. I don't eat gruel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Soy milk? Goat milk goes better with oat groat. I’ve never tried it of course, but oat-goat-groat works better with my mild OCD. Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I happen to like oatmeal porridge. Hated it as a child, but in the last decade I've grown quite fond of it.

It's warm, filling, inexpensive, and relatively healthy, plus it doesn't require much effort to prepare.

I prefer mine made with milk instead of water, and with a little bit of local honey and some raisins.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Sounds yummy..... not.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Looks like steel cut oats to me. Certainly not oat groats.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9008 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My current favorite is rolled oats, but not as a mushy wallpaper paste.

SS’s go to breakfast:
1/2 cup rolled oats plus 1 1/4 cup of water and a handful of dried blueberries or raisins then zapped for just 2 minutes in the microwave which is just enough cooking.
A big pinch of sliced almonds adds a nice bit of crunch and a sliced up banana adds a daily serving of fruit.

Your recipe sounds like an interesting change of pace. I’ll be trying it soon. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You lost me at soy milk. And marmite. Blechhh.

Posts: 26952 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
You lost me at soy milk. And marmite. Blechhh.

+1

Cooked 2/3 rolled oats + 1/3 steel cut mix works just fine here. Blueberries or other fruit on top is great with at times a touch of cows milk.

You Kalifornians can keep the phoo-phoo soy milk and yeast mess.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16258 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
'Groat' sounds like what a 3th grader would call a pussy.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
<snip>
You Kalifornians can keep the phoo-phoo soy milk and yeast mess.

You’ve been deceived into thinking that soy milk is some kind of milk. Despite the name, it’s not – it’s a drink unto itself. I grew up drinking milk from our Jersey cow – 4.9% butterfat. That’s real milk!

I watch my weight pretty closely, and needed some nutritious, low calorie beverage to drink in the evening in lieu of some of the alcoholic beverages. I don’t like 2% dairy milk, and hate skim milk, so decided to give Silk soy “milk” a try. I found it to be quite good – especially the “Unsweet” variety (I don’t have a sweet tooth). And the Unsweet is the lowest calorie Silk soy milk variety. I spice it up with Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce. That combo is addictively good! At least I find it so. I don’t think the Cholula would be good at all in dairy milk.

As for Marmite… For folks with a sweet tooth, sucrose is a magic bullet. For folks with a savory tooth, Marmite is a magic bullet. The trick with Marmite is to use it sparingly. It’s super potent – too much and it’s bitter.

Have you actually tried Unsweet Silk Soy Milk and Marmite? If you have then of course your opinion of these items is of value.

More generally, we ought to recognize that folks have divergent tastes for food and drink, and we shouldn’t mock or disparage the personal preferences of others. One guy likes Irish, another likes Bourbon. Who can say that one of them is wrong?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've had oat groats with soy milk and enjoyed thoroughly...although not quite the same prep formula nor the horrors of Marmite.....

thanks for the recipe, may well be giving it a run before long.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

You’re a hard case, jhe. Smile But if there’s one essential component lacking in the average American diet, it’s fiber. And oats are a superb source of fiber, both soluble and insoluble. The recipe in my OP is as delicious as it is nutritious (at least I find it so). See this:

“If I offered you a superfood that would make you live longer, would you be interested?

Naturally it reduces the chances of debilitating heart attacks and strokes as well as life-long diseases such as type-2 diabetes.

And it helps keep your weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels down.

I should mention it's cheap and widely available in the supermarket.

What is it?

Fibre - it's not the sexiest thing in the world but a major study has been investigating how much fibre we really need to be eating and found there are huge health benefits.

Elaine Rush, a professor of nutrition at Auckland University of Technology, has put together this example for getting into the 25-30g camp:

Half a cup of rolled oats - 9g fibre | two Weetabix - 3g fibre | a thick slice of brown bread - 2g fibre | a cup of cooked lentils - 4g fibre | a potato cooked with the skin on - 2g fibre | half a cup of chard (or silverbeet in New Zealand) - 1g fibre | a carrot - 3g fibre | an apple with the skin on - 4g fibre…”

https://www.myjoyonline.com/li...eating-enough-of.php

Serious about crackers