SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iowa Highway patrol and drones at traffic accidents
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa Highway patrol and drones at traffic accidents Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I wonder if all those state troopers & LEOs have passed the Unmanned Aircraft Pilots Test from the FAA?

I am sure. We have to before we can touch the thing. You know not all cops and departments think their above the law. Thanks for caring though....

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
dispatchers use 10-5/J2 ( injuries), J3 (blocking), or J4 (fatality).

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
What's a "hwhat? Contextually, I think I get it. Razz

Many states use the same codes. Evidently yours does not. AZ DPS and others in AZ use 'C962' for a collision with injuries, 'C963' for a collision with fatality. Follow either with an 'A' and it's a collision with an officer involved.

Can you reply to my drone questions? I'd like to know more about the technology.

Not a trooper, so no idea. Our agency is transitioning from Total Stations to something else (that isn't a drone), but we recon far, far fewer crashes than the state patrol.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
What make and model drone are they using, if you know?

In the Iowa story, they were flying a DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise. https://www.dji.com/mavic-2-enterprise

Posts: 3858 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I am new to drones, flying for just two months now, and have my 107 license.... I use both a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 2 pro (which is close to that Mavic 2 Enterprise)... now trying to find the price of an enterprise and it seems to not be out there... need video add for the thing for sure.

What I'm hoping for in my business is a program that will allow me to measure something at a distance of about 5-10 feet. 1/4" give or take.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I wonder if all those state troopers & LEOs have passed the Unmanned Aircraft Pilots Test from the FAA?

Many states use the same codes. Evidently yours does not. AZ DPS and others in AZ use 'C962' for a collision with injuries, 'C963' for a collision with fatality. Follow either with an 'A' and it's a collision with an officer involved.

All the drone pilots in my small agency and the agency next to us (shared drone program) have passed the FAA test. Can't speak for other agencies but I do believe it is an FAA requirement.

Around here a 'C962' or 'C963' is called an auto accident with injuries or fatality (encrypted radios). Some old school officers and dispatchers use 10-5/J2 ( injuries), J3 (blocking), or J4 (fatality).

Our drone is equipped with a night vision module and I do believe it has module that is for video mapping. it was used for an Officer Involved Shooting; several officers in different positions shooting at bad guy shooting at them in an area around a creek between two shopping centers. From what I understand most of the department drones are very modular with lots of different accessories available now or for future purchases.

What make and model drone are they using, if you know?

No idea (my flight skills begin and end with a paper airplane.....and Wing Commander.....and Xwing/Tie Fighter on computer) and my drone officer was off last night.

Posts: 4052 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post