SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medical drug question:Gabapentin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical drug question:Gabapentin Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
I am kind of confused why this drug would be prescribed to a 69 year old for a partial knee replacement.
Possible side effect is long and scary, specifically for people over 65.

Gabapentin, sold under the brand name Neurontin among others, is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat partial seizures, neuropathic pain, hot flashes, and restless legs syndrome. It is recommended as one of a number of first-line medications for the treatment of neuropathic pain caused by diabetic neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia, and central neuropathic pain.

Any experts have any input?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The daughter was on it for chronic joint pain. Her main complaint was it made her too drowsy.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Is there any nerve damage before/after the knee replacement? It’s a common medication for nerve pain which there are only very few in that class.

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has a role in pain management

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4907681/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10946 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is nonaddictive and was used intially to treat epilepsy. These days it is used primarily to treat neuropathy and pain. In your age group in can cause mental dulling. It is better than opiates for pain.

It is also used as a mood stabilizer for psychiatric patients. It is somewhat effective in treating nerve pain.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My wife is on it at a very low dose for back pain; she's 66 years old.
When they started her on it at the standard dose, she was very drowsy from it. She is now on 1/3 of her original dose.
It still helps with the pain and she doesn't have the side effects.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it Peri operatively all the time. Over 65 I decrease the dose to 100mg po prior to surgery for post op pain. I am an anesthesiologist btw. Over 65 to many side effects for me post operatively at the 300mg dose.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I took it for a bulging disk pressing on my medial nerve (caused my left hand’s palm and three fingers to feel like they were dipped into lava). When I went to the doc, he asked me why I was there and then he asked me what I found that worked. I told him I had tried some old painkillers and they didn’t work....I admitted that I was drinking a bunch of vodka to get some sleep...he chuckled and said yeah alcohol is a central nervous depressant-that’ll work.

He told me to not quit taking it as you must taper off to avoid seizures.

It worked for me, didn’t make me stupid or groggy. Probably kept me from hurting myself by drinking too much alcohol.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both knees replaced 7 years ago and have nerve damage from the reason for the replacements also .
I take gabapentin 300mg X3 daily and am on my feet 8 hours a day and also have other Neuropathic issues (neck, shoulder)
I get tested for issues the the drug can cause yearly and back in Feb. the results were negative.
I'm 65 and will begin to cut back so when I retire (maybe next Spring) I won't need as much. That's the dr.s and my plan !

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My 13 yr old was on it until he had two seizures. We stopped using it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
There is some concern in patients who are also using opiate pain killers. There have been cases where is has been tied to difficulty in breathing when the two are combined.

That said, I see it in a lot of patient med lists

Posts: 11227 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I take a version of it called Horizant for nerve pain due to a fractured L4 and fusions X 2. Mostly it helps with my leg pain. No issues here, but I’m 49 yo.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I thought it was an animal medication...

I had never heard of it until about a month ago. I brought my cat to the vet, but because of Covid, I couldn't go in with him. I warned them my cat is a little punk and would be hard to handle. They thought they could--they couldn't. The doctor recommended next time I bring him in, I dose him with the Gaba to calm him down. I haven't tried it yet.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horizant is on patent and is considerably more expensive than the generic Gabapetin. The indications are for RLS although a physician can presribe it for anything he wants.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
My older sister in her late 50’s uses it for Fibromyalgia. 600 mg/day and I believe is tested every 6 mos for any issues. She swears by the drug and no complications after a year & a half.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I've been on it for 12 yrs,
3-4 600mg a day. Without it the stinging in my 98% paralyzed leg and foot would make me cut it off or get on some heavy pain killers that would end day to day life.
I don't feel drowsy.
They say non addictive but I get pretty moody, short tempered if I skip any.
The feeling after hitting your thumb with a hammer and the initial pain is gone but it still "crawls" with pain, is my best description.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
My older sister in her late 50’s uses it for Fibromyalgia. 600 mg/day and I believe is tested every 6 mos for any issues. She swears by the drug and no complications after a year & a half.

My mom was on this med for several years for fibromyalgia without any substantial issue. Her only side affect was the drowsiness mentioned earlier by a couple of members.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I've been on it for 12 yrs,
3-4 600mg a day. Without it the stinging in my 98% paralyzed leg and foot would make me cut it off or get on some heavy pain killers that would end day to day life.
I don't feel drowsy.
They say non addictive but I get pretty moody, short tempered if I skip any.
The feeling after hitting your thumb with a hammer and the initial pain is gone but it still "crawls" with pain, is my best description.

That is what happens if I skip. My Dr. said it's just your body reminding you why you take it !

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is also used as a mood stabilizer for psychiatric patients.

Negative. A claim that cost Pfizer $430 million. Gabapentin is not a mood stabilizer.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
quote:
It is also used as a mood stabilizer for psychiatric patients.

Negative. A claim that cost Pfizer $430 million. Gabapentin is not a mood stabilizer.

Veterinarians still think it is.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post