SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corrosion from modern gun safes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corrosion from modern gun safes? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I haven't seen this discussed here; if it has been please point me to it. There are articles out there about how materials in modern gun safes can actually cause corrosion. Mostly formaldehyde or sulfur offgassing from the drywall, particle board, and glue used for carpet. However, I have noticed that the primary source of this information is from a company that makes secure storage without the sheetrock and particle board/carpeted interiors.

Here's a link to the article:

https://www.secureitgunstorage.../gun-safe-corrosion/

I certainly understand the bias of the company who comptetes with the traditional gun safe companies, and so I don't just take it at face value. BUT, the science does make sense to me, and I know firsthand that particle board or MDF has serious offgassing. So that is enough to make me want more info.

Anyone here have issues with long term storage in a gunsafe? Anyone who can shed some light on the issue, or lack thereof?

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like bullshit to me.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only if it contains Chinese drywall .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine a company that specializes in making gun safes would use any materials that would cause corrosion to guns stored in the safe. Now some knock off company or a safe not specifically designed for guns, then sure I guess. Obviously corrosion can happen in a quality gun safe, but those are environmental factors.

And where the website says, “ Why are there are so many products on the market designed to slow or stop corrosion in a gun safe?” Answers again is, environmental factors. A golden rod isn’t fighting formaldehyde.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I remember a post years ago that Frank made about materials in cheap home office safes causing corrosion but nothing about gunsafes.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A lot of that offgassing has been dealt with - it exceeds certain standards. We had carpet installed in one church and the formaldehyde was off the charts, it took years to vent it all out.

If there is a lot of stuff inside the safe - leave it open and air it out. Confining it causes the problem.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:

If there is a lot of stuff inside the safe - leave it open and air it out. Confining it causes the problem.

Ok I have to be "that guy" and say kinda defeats the purpose of a safe if you have to leave it open to let it air out. Smile

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Stuff = all that upholstery causing the problem.

When you first get it and still guns all stacked up in the closet, open the door and take a deep sniff - if it's funky with chemicals, add stick heater or ozone machine and let er run with the door cracked for circulation.

And yeah I did come back to fix that. Beat me to it.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Granted my safes are older, bought them in 1997 & 99. I have had blued guns in them for 24 years and no corrosion. My safes are National Safe Co. which was a high end company and I don't think they would have used cheap materials? Now stack on etc... who knows?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, never seen it, never experienced it. It's not an issue.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Only if it contains Chinese drywall .

Or Chinese steel.

https://championsafe.com/5-dif...-steel-in-gun-safes/

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think the potential problem with gun safes are their mass as to where they are kept and if there is a drastic temperature change then condensation can form inside.... I guess if there was some product inside the safe that had corrosives in it then this could cause even more of a problem... but like mentioned I don't know why a safe maker would do that. Sounds to me like someone was using made up stuff to sell their product.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only if it contains Chinese drywall

This is the only situation that I'm aware of that has ever actually caused any trouble. That was corrected once those materials were banned from import.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a bout with drywall a few years ago... off gassing sulfur gas.

Anybody who's had experience with sulfur gas in drinking water can tell you this sulfur gas tears shit up!

Eats copper, tarnishes brass, tarnishes silver, eats braze material
wiring/contacts/coins/etc.

The shit is nasty!

Will ruin electronics, appliances, water lines, air conditioning equipment, jewelry, etc.

There's too many items to list...

So, yes, if *that* drywall is in your safe, it can cause issues.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any gypsum drywall will absorb moisture from the air, which can cause humidity issues inside the safe. Get a goldenrod dehumidifier and you should be OK.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
So, what was the time period that these safes, with the Chinese drywall, were built?

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
have seen some chinese made safes that had a funky odor from the materials,

think new car smell but funkier, (no sulfuric)

otherwise,

the only issue I have had (Liberty Franklin and a few other older safes) si the usual central Va white mold,

wipe down with white vinegar on a rag, let it dry, and added a goldenrod and all was good

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
So, what was the time period that these safes, with the Chinese drywall, were built?
The drywall was imported between 2001 to 2009 . Obviously some could have been left over much later . The only places I've ever heard of it being an issue is in the building industry .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've kept all my guns in gun safes for over 30 years, 5 different ones and never had a problem.

I'd say it's BS

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A the moment I use six safes, all different designs and makes, with a variety of interiors, materials, locks, etc. I've made some interiors using foam, carpeting, other materials. I've yet to see any sign of corrosion, even in my oldest firearms. No damage to finishes, sights, etc.

The worst I've seen is several firearms glued together from deterioration of the lubricant I'd used, which was a rod and gun grease...nothing to do with the safes.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post