SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Junk batteries shipped with electronic items
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Junk batteries shipped with electronic items Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new pair of binoculars that requires 2 AA batteries to function. So instead of showing amazing energy and getting up to find my preferred brand, I just installed the batteries that came with them. Well, they just died a few minutes ago. Not much life at all. So my wife handed me some alkaline energizers. My hopes aren't too high for these either, with the lithium being the ones I've found best. But the binoc's are up and working just as the first day.

Poor battery life is what I've come to expect with furnished batteries. Not sure why the makers do that. It kind of sours you on the item until you realize the cause. But it also outlines the differences in battery life you can expect. Its even why kids toys usually fail quickly. Not the toy's fault at all, its just the cheapo batteries they decided to ship with them.

So the test continues. I've got the Alkaline batteries working now with the lithium sitting next to me on the end table. It'll be a test to see how long each lasts. Guess I'm not out anything and I can just view the junk ones shipped with it as free time.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Poor battery life is what I've come to expect with furnished batteries. Not sure why the makers do that. It kind of sours you on the item until you realize the cause. But it also outlines the differences in battery life you can expect. Its even why kids toys usually fail quickly. Not the toy's fault at all, its just the cheapo batteries they decided to ship with them.

^^^^^^^^^
Every toy when when my kids were young, stated Batteries not included. EVERY Christmas the lines at the only open drugstore were filled with parents buying batteries for the toys. Had not really noticed that batteries were NOW provided.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If it was a device I cared about, I would go straight to the lithiums and toss the others. Alkalines leak, and often take the device with it. Not worth the risk IMO.

As far as the supplied carbon-zinc batteries, I think they are just there for people who open their new device and realize they don't have any batteries at all. At least you can verify the thing works until you can buy some decent ones.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The old carbon-zinc batteries called heavy duty only have half the capacity of the alkaline batteries so they are cheaper.

So how are the boating parties?? Are the parties better than the ones at Lake Trash??

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I rarely install any of the super cheap batteries that come with devices. I've had many destroyed remotes and such due to cheap leaking batteries. I have a good stash of SHTF batteries so I use Duracell mostly.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I think shelf life may be more important to manufacturers than use life. They don't know how long the item is going to sit in the warehouse or on the shelf before being put into service.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I've found the opposite is true for remotes. The included batteries last forever. Replacement batteries seem to last half as long.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
For me, Energizer Ultimate Lithium is the go-to battery.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Some of my cheap flashlights come with batteries and I leave them in for a month or so. They don't seem too bad for that period. Got new tv remotes back in June and the batteries gave up last week.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I am suspicious of no name batteries, so usually chuck them in favor of Duracell. Duracel stands behind their batteries with a leakage guarantee. In fact, they just sent me a check to replace a device that was damaged recently.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It’s good that Duracells have that warranty. I’ve had to use it a bunch. I have more leaky Duracells than any other brand. They used to be a good battery. I won’t buy them any more.

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post