SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbers info needed for repair/replace at Mother's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbers info needed for repair/replace at Mother's Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Sunday at Mother's, a water line sprang a leak.

That divot was put there by the installer in 1993. Wall and floor got soaked. Farmers Insurance and Servicemaster are on the water problem. But the plumbing involves this
Insurance wont cover the pipe repair.

Garbage manabloc header. Is there a coupling splice/adapter for the grey tube to fit in a piece of pex or something. The wall will be refinished, closing in the splice.

On top of this the shut off valves on the manabloc are leaky.
I could replace the header. Either madeup or built with a lot of SS tees and little ball valves. But I do not know a thing about adapting to the grey tubes nor do I like the idea of replacing them with wersbo/pex or ......

And Mother's budget has no room for such things.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Looks like poly butyl(spelling) they used it in the 90s and it was supposed to be what PEX is today.

I remember my dad doing tests with it when it first came out and after freezing it twice it broke. So he never used it. But it’s in a LOTTTT of houses.

Bad news ahead.

It won’t get better. They don’t make it anymore, and she’ll need to replace all the plumbing.

In the mean time the only thing you can do is patch it (think flex seal) temporarily.

Here’s a quick tutorial on it… https://www.redsealplumbing.co...what-to-do-about-it/

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make poly to pex couplers 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, etc.

Sharkbite has them in the push to connect (gray ring for poly, tan ring for pex).
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shark...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or there are several companies who make the poly to pex in the crimp style or expanding.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shark...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ap...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Simply search 'poly to pex couplers' or 'quest to pex couplers'.

Or you can buy Zurn (used to be called Quest) compression fittings.
https://www.acehardware.com/de...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Are you 100% sure mice did not do that?
I have seen mice chew into PB and Pex to get water.
They get used to getting water from condensate on cold water pipes when the weather conditions are right to make the pipes condensate and then when the pipes are dry on the outside they start chewing on them until a very small pin hole developes and a nice drinking fountain for the critters.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
If that is polybutylene pipe, there were lawsuits over that stuff in the 80s. Over time, oxidation and exposure to chlorine in the water causes them to swell, crack and leak. They are prone to causing flood damage throughout houses.

My daughter has a house that had that stuff and one place got repaired and a couple of months later another place started leaking. after the 3rd time, she had it all replaced with PEX.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That looks like polybutylene from what I can see. My house used some of that crap. After 15 years it started failing. I absolutely hate that stuff. Eventually had to replace all of it over a two year period. They even made single lug water shut off valves out of it. The lug would shear off and do bad things.

quote:
one place got repaired and a couple of months later another place started leaking
That is the way it worked for me also.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
There were 2 class-action lawsuits over polybutylene piping. An oxygen molecule was left out of the plastics formula. Shell Oil and Celanese Fortrell (sp?) developed it so the attorneys mined the deep pockets for a billion in each class-action settlement.
After a poly repair, I would give the customer the contact info for the insurance company. The insurer would re pipe the house and repair all drywall and reimburse any repair charges paid out. Customers were grateful for the unexpected relief.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post