SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russia launches first mission to the Moon in 50 years

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Russia launches first mission to the Moon in 50 years Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Russia has launched its first probe to the Moon in almost 50 years after it blasted off from Moscow yesterday.

The launch of the Luna-25 probe is Moscow's first lunar mission since 1976, when the USSR was a pioneer in the conquest of space.

The rocket with the Luna-25 probe lifted off at 2:10am Moscow time (11:10pm GMT Thursday) from the Vostochny Cosmodrome, according to live images broadcast by the Russian space agency Roscosmos.
……
The spacecraft is due to reach lunar orbit in five days where it will then spend between three and seven days choosing the right spot before landing in the lunar south pole area for the first time in history.
……
Roscosmos expects the probe to land on the Moon around August 21, a source in the agency told AFP.

The spacecraft, which will remain on the Moon for a year, will be tasked with 'taking (samples) and analysing the soil' as well as 'conducting long-term scientific research', the Russian space agency said. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12395581

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Was this related to the rocket booster that fell over Australia?

Interesting to see Russia going to the moon. It’s not something I expected to read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, we're flying helicopters on Mars.

How do you like them apples, Ivan? Razz

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The moon is the perfect springboard to the stars. Plenty of ice for rocket fuel production, low gravity to make liftoff of missions both easy and low fuel consumptive and relatively close to the earth in the event of emergencies. We should be concentrating on colonizing there instead of Mars; Mars is a boondoggle by comparison. I do not trust either China or Russia’s motives on the moon.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:I do not trust either China or Russia’s motives on the moon.

I don't trust either country's motives on Earth, for that matter.

'sides, after Putain's russia has paid off the hundred trillion dollars reparations to Ukraine for the illegal invasion and destruction of that country, they won't be able to afford to cross the street, let alone cross the quarter-million miles to the moon, and you'll start to see Goodwill stores opening up all over to send your old clothes to poor russian kids.

Fuck 'em.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:I do not trust either China or Russia’s motives on the moon.

'sides, after Putain's russia has paid off the hundred trillion dollars reparations to Ukraine for the illegal invasion and destruction of that country, they won't be able to afford to cross the street, let alone cross the quarter-million miles to the moon, and you'll start to see Goodwill stores opening up all over to send your old clothes to poor russian kids.

Fuck 'em.

Yeah; It will be like Germany after World War I only with 6000 nuclear weapons. Roll Eyes

And that same scenario gave rise to Hitler, but we are so much smarter now, that could never happen again.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Fuck 'em.

I like the sounds of that. I look forward to the return of the V8 engine when we start sucking all the oil out from under their godforsaken motherland.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:
quote:

Fuck 'em.

Yeah; It will be like Germany after World War I only with 6000 nuclear weapons. Roll Eyes

And that same scenario gave rise to Hitler, but we are so much smarter now, that could never happen again.

They have another Hitler already

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post