SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bands in bars - volume control?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bands in bars - volume control? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Sipping a mojito in a local bar, munching on mozzarella sticks.

Live band tonight. I know electrical instruments can have the volume lowered coming out the amp. But how about drums. The band is breaking my ears. I’d rather be sitting next to a Barrett.

Do bands usually set volume appropriate to a venue? Or is it just always one volume?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I don't listen to much live music anymore is the noise level. There was a time when I played in the bars that varied in size, acoustics and number of occupants.

Everyone in the band can control their volume and we tried to start out reasonably quiet and up the volume as the crowd size increased and the booze flowed. We knew when we were too loud by the crowd reaction. I don't ever remember someone said "Play Louder."

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
One rule I've noticed is the worse a band is, the louder they play. Generally when I go out to dinner and discover a band, I rethink my choice of places. If we stay, we generally leave and regret how long we remained. Young bands need to earn money and practice more. That is at odds with how bad they are.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Live bands have one volume

Loud as technically possible

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of my Pet Peeves!
My hearing is bad enough, I don’t need help in losing what’s left.

Eric Clapton live wasn’t as loud as this shitty band in a way too small bar I got drug to see by my beloved wife.
It won’t happen again.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Stage volume is based on ego and the drums. Then there is the house, if they have a house system, which tries to get a proper mix with what they hear at the mixing board. So they have to add everything else to overcome the ego of the loudest musician, usually the lead guitar player.

In the perfect world the drums would be partitioned by, for instance, plexiglass walls, and all the musicians would wear ear monitors. Have a monitor mix and let the sound man control what people hear.

Once playing the Octagon in NJ we had a stage monitor setup; each of us could have their own monitor mix, which was an incredible luxury. No more being blasted by the lead guitar player's whiney vocal. He could have all he wanted but I took barely a hint. A tiny more kick drum for me.

Earlier this decade I played summerly duo gig at an outdoor bar. We brought one monitor and a power mixer, and went D.I. into the house system. Later, after a bit of cajoling, we began skipping the monitor and went from our power mixer sans-speaker into the house direct box, and listened to ourselves right from the 21 house speakers. The managers could control the house but it was usually set where they wanted it.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
The louder the band, the less patrons can converse. The less patrons are able to converse, the more they typically drink. Higher profits for the bar.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I go to a bar/burger joint a few times a year. Most patrons are old farts like us. They typically surround the drums with sound barriers and mic the drums. That way they can actually control the volume. It makes for a much more pleasurable evening.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ask to be seated as far as away from the band as possible or simply leave. They are always too loud and generally suck anyway. Perhaps that's just the old fart in me coming me out...

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crash:
The louder the band, the less patrons can converse. The less patrons are able to converse, the more they typically drink. Higher profits for the bar.

If they stay.

If they do not, it’s $0. My friends and I always leave.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If the drums are not mic’d that may be as quiet as they can play especially if it is a small venue. The rest of the band has to play loud enough the drummer and everyone else can hear.

I’ve seen a few guys playa cajon to allow everyone to really dial back the volume in very small venues. Works pretty well.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
There is no reason why you guys can't wear ear plugs.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
There is no reason why you guys can't wear ear plugs.

Bob

Other than, maybe they'd want to hear some conversation, perhaps. Wink

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earplugs.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Going to a bar with a live band? Hmm...gonna have to try and remember what that was like. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Don't go somewhere with live music, then complain it is too loud.

Either don't go, or wear earplugs.

Reusable silicone earplugs are in order. Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d..._cr_id=5966644900501

My hearing is trash from work. I don't like loud restaurants because I can't hear people talk. But going somewhere with live music and complaining you can't have a conversation is silly.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Around here it seems like the local bands think that if they play louder they will sound better.

Depending on the band, our local bar will pretty much clear out right when the band starts. Even sitting at one of the furthest tables, once they start playing any chance for conversation is over. Since we go there to socialize we finish up and leave.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Micing a drum kit takes about eight channels. Not many hands have equipment and time for a setup. Drummers can play responsibly, but may not be aware of this shortcoming. Ear plugs are good. I wear them on stage.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Found an old video of Konata helping with the school talent show:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lt2BN9SeZsc

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My church has an awesome band. The drums are kept inside a little plexiglass/sound deadening room. You can see them, and hear them, but it doesn’t blow you out if your seat. Aside if something if that nature, there isn’t much of a way to play the drums quietly.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post