SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying new car - dealer needs to get from other dealer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying new car - dealer needs to get from other dealer Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks guys. Car is nothing special. Camry of select color and options. Relatively dime a dozen.

Will request the car without any obligation. If not willing, I can drive to other dealerships or just wait for stock. Trying to keep money in the county but open to alternatives.
Something else you might consider, assuming you're not in a huge hurry, is completing a build sheet and having the dealer pull the exact vehicle you're looking for off the end of the assembly line as part of their allotment. That's the way I bought my 2001 Ford F150. Only downside is that could take a couple months. Upside, you get exactly what you want for what should be a very good price given you're willing to wait on it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dealer trades are part of my job. Generally speaking, I won't discount a vehicle as much if it isn't on my lot. We can possibly lose hold back money on it, costs to get it here and such.

Also, if it is a fairly rare or hot item, I will not get it without a a hard commitment of some type. Of course, delivering on my end a perfect vehicle.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have done that before. No problem whatsoever.

Just make sure to fully understand the ramifications, extra transport costs, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How I bought my exterra in 2007. Wife insisted on the off road version in yellow with premium sound. Local dealer could get one at a price I was ok with but they said come back tomorrow as we need to transport it up from Salinas. To Walnut Creek. Which is a solid 100+ miles. Silly me thought they’d bring it up in a flat bed tow. Nope. Get there and some lot jockey had Driven it up. New car had like 160 miles on it. I was a bit disappointed but didn’t cancel the deal over it. just wish it had been disclosed.

When I special ordered my Tacoma I told my sales guy I had been working with for a few months please don’t drive it anywhere. Had 2 miles on it when I drove it off the lot the day it was backed off the transport. I think they took it down the block and filled the tank.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
I have bought 5 new vehicles over the years from the same local GM dealership, plus using their service department for servicing for things that I could not do myself. I also bought all my parts from their parts department.

Each time I went to buy a new car from that GM dealer, the sales rep from the previous sale I had made, was not working there any longer. Hard to build a relationship.

So, I went shopping for my 6th vehicle. Naturally, I started at a GM dealer 25 miles from my house (so I could compare deals) and saw the vehicle I wanted and negotiated a deal with a 1 day hold with no deposit, with the understanding that the vehicle could be sold to someone else after that period of time.

Now, back to my 10 miles away from my house GM dealer. I showed to them a modified picture of the window sticker of the vehicle I wanted with all of the other dealer information edited out, so only the MRSP and options were shown on the picture.

After talking to the salesman, the sales manger then came out and said that the car was not available locally and had to come from out of state (about 350 miles one way).

I said lets negotiate. What it came down to was
that he wanted to charge me a lot more (as in a 4 digit number more) than the first dealer. I also told him that I did not want someone else driving my car 350 miles. I wanted to drive it myself or ride with the person that would be doing the driving. That was a no go.

I then said "How can you prove that he will not hammer down all the way home." "Well, that is not our policy."

My reply was "have a nice day" followed by a quick about face and left while ignoring any additional attempts by them towards communicating with me ("let me see if I can do better").

One day latter, dealer #1's car was setting in my driveway which left the dealers' lot with 8 miles on the clock. All the dealer prep work done, a full tank of gas and as instructed, no dealer advertising sticker on the car.

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I basically made a deal for a car pending arrival inspection. Will be driven from a dealer 200 miles away so expecting less than 250 miles on the car - I told them it will be problem if it has more than 250 miles on arrival. But basically, the deal went through fast and easy once they understood I had done my research and wasn't paying anything close to MSRP.

New question: The are offering I think a bumper to bumper warranty for $2500 (coverage up to 8 years? 10 years). Normally, would turn it down flat - not needing this kind of stuff is why I buy Toyota in the first place.

That being said, I have concerns w/ all the electronics (computer screen, blah blah).

I'm still thinking I don't need any extra warranties or what not. But what say you? My current cars don't have all this computer, LCD screen stuff (not even nav). Are these things prone to failure with 10 years?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I basically made a deal for a car pending arrival inspection. Will be driven from a dealer 200 miles away so expecting less than 250 miles on the car - I told them it will be problem if it has more than 250 miles on arrival. But basically, the deal went through fast and easy once they understood I had done my research and wasn't paying anything close to MSRP.

New question: The are offering I think a bumper to bumper warranty for $2500 (coverage up to 8 years? 10 years). Normally, would turn it down flat - not needing this kind of stuff is why I buy Toyota in the first place.

That being said, I have concerns w/ all the electronics (computer screen, blah blah).

I'm still thinking I don't need any extra warranties or what not. But what say you? My current cars don't have all this computer, LCD screen stuff (not even nav). Are these things prone to failure with 10 years?
How long do you plan to own the car?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:

Check the Toyota model specific forums. You can get price paid for the warranty info, common issues, etc.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Do NOT sign contract or put small deposit before you see the car. I did not and it worked out for the best. Bad experience doing that. A dealer got a new car for me one time like this deal. It showed up with nearly 400 miles and a 1" gouge in a lower panel. Of course they did not say anything about those kind of miles or the gouge when they called me to pick it up a week later. I refused the car. Dealer got all bent out of shape. Tried to intimidate me with legal action

Legal action about what? Were you supposed to be happy about the damage?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post