SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Think I finall got my PC backup sorted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think I finall got my PC backup sorted Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
As a add on of sorts to my thread about NAS drives.

Got my enclosure and drives Thursday. Got it set up and started copying my data drive over Friday evening after work. A lot of data so it took overnight to get everything copied over.

Also spent a couple hours Friday night playing with various file sync programs and settled on FreeFileSync. For my data files I wanted something that would be readily accessible if I had a drive failure. Basically treating the NAS backup as more of a external storage drive type setup.

Spent a couple hours today playing with the program and various settings up of things and so far I think everything is working as I was hoping it would Cool Cool

Basically it works on the same idea as google drive or dropbox. Whenever something is changed on my drive, it updates the files on the NAS. I was also able to set it up as a windows task so it automatically runs once a week. I can also apparently set up the same process with my separate external drive as well so I still have that to figure out Wink

I still need to set up a proper Windows backup, but for now at least, my data drive is the more important part and I want to monitor things for a couple weeks to make sure it is actually doing things properly. Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just remember to also set a backup that saves based on time period.
Otherwise if you accidentally lose or delete a file it will also do the same on your synced file location.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, yup I have it set.... I hope lol... where it won't permanently delete off the NAS, instead it "should" just send it to a recycle bin on the NAS itself. That way I can see it and put it back if it does happen.

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
File sync is not backup. If you get ransomeware, it will start syncing the encrypted files over to the external drives. You need some type of versioned backup.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
what backup application are you using? I'm struggling with the fact that I need to change up in my house with a recent OS version upgrade (for Mac) having rendered my very old backup software useless.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
sigcrazy my main need/reason for this type of backup is more for the chance of drive failure than ransomeware. My drive failed a couple years ago and it was several $k to get it back. I have it set so only specific files sync between the drives. I do have the external drive that will be set up for this as well, and a second external drive that I plan on using for more "normal" backups of the os and my data drive down the road, but for now this will cover my needs Smile

r0gue the sync program I ended up with is FreeFileSync https://freefilesync.org/ It's nothing really "fancy" but it fits my needs. They do have some basic startup vids on the website and on youtube. For "real" backup software. I still haven't really settled on one yet. I have Macrium right now but have only used it a couple times for basic disk management. I haven't really tried the actual backup/restore functions yet.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
my main need/reason for this type of backup is more for the chance of drive failure than ransomeware.

RAID would have been a better strategy for that.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
my main need/reason for this type of backup is more for the chance of drive failure than ransomeware.

RAID would have been a better strategy for that.

NAS is set up as RAID 1 with two 8TB drives. My computer is set up with a 500GB boot drive and my data drive is 4TB. That has my docs, pics, steam, vids ect. and is mirrored/synced to the NAS and is also mirrored to a external usb hdd which, once I get teh sync program dialed in, it will also be synced on a regular basis. The NAS was added as a easier way to automate the backup vs having to plug the external drive in and manually copying files.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PakRatJR:

NAS is set up as RAID 1 with two 8TB drives.
My computer is set up with a 500GB boot drive and my data drive is 4TB.
That has my docs, pics, steam, vids etc. and is mirrored/synced to the NAS and is also mirrored to a external usb hdd which, once I get the sync program dialed in, it will also be synced on a regular basis.
The NAS was added as a easier way to automate the backup vs having to plug the external drive in and manually copying files.

That is all well and good but RAID on the NAS doesn't help the actual Data drive.
FWIW, RAID on that is accomplished by 1) hardware RAID card 2) MB RAID 3 ) Windows Dynamic Disks or 3) Windows Storage Spaces.
#1,2,3 need to be done before the data is on the disk (fresh)
#4 can be done but only on (Windows 10 or Server 2012+)
Essentially what is missing is snapshots of the data in time to go back if there is an issue.
Only being concerned with disk redundancy is an incomplete strategy.
File Sync is valid as long as there are no mistakes like accidental deletion or malware.
Suggest using a BU software such as Veeam Agent for Microsoft (free version work well but does not have simultaneous backup types with scheduling) but otherwise very good ~ I have saved many a system with that.
There are other software that works well too, YMMV.

Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
I do actually have the snapshot plan in mind as well. Along with my external HDD for another mirror, like the NAS, I have a second external drive that will be used for "normal" backups. I just need to get that set up. I can do it on the NAS as well but would prefer to have the separate drive for that.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
For windows-based backup software, look at Macrium Reflect, it'll allow you to do disk image backups as well as file backups.

There is a free version which many people use for the disk image function alone but quite frankly, if you have a bunch of windows computers, pay for the multi-licence Home version.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post