SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michael Bloomberg pumps $500 million into bid to close all US coal plants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michael Bloomberg pumps $500 million into bid to close all US coal plants Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
hmm, follow the money, I would love to see his investment portfolio.

The part that profits from coal shut down.

Berkshire Hathaway makes millions on coal, and a lot of money on transporting it.

This could get interesting if Buffet weighs in on the other side of this.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
By working with our partners across the country, we hope to transform the way we power America by moving beyond fossil fuels and replacing them with renewable energy," said Bloomberg
So tell me, asshole, where is all this 'renewable' energy coming from, EXACTLY? Show us, dipshit! How about a plan for that, first, before you implement a plan to take down coal and gas?

Any shortages, untenable price increases, inconveniences or unwanted lifestyle alterations are to be experienced by the non-elites only. So by being completely shielded from the effects of what he champions, Bloomberg does not have to supply an answer to the above question.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
hmm, follow the money, I would love to see his investment portfolio.

The part that profits from coal shut down.

Berkshire Hathaway makes millions on coal, and a lot of money on transporting it.

This could get interesting if Buffet weighs in on the other side of this.

Buffet doesn't weigh in on politics much. He just invests where he thinks there is profit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
So tell me, asshole, where is all this 'renewable' energy coming from, EXACTLY? Show us, dipshit! How about a plan for that, first, before you implement a plan to take down coal and gas?

This very much reminds me of a tense discussion with a boss from long ago. He was the sort who would go to the staff meetings and promise all sorts of things. After one of those sessions, he gathered the department and told us what he'd promised we'd do. I asked, "how do you plan to go about that?" His answer was, "I don't know. You're the engineer -- YOU figure it out."

He's one of a very few people I hope I never see again.

Back to Bloomie: yes, 229DAK, it's exactly that. He's out to ruin what he doesn't like, without providing a speck of inclination toward an alternative. He's got a sack of money large enough that the consequences won't affect him.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A few weeks back, I virtually attended a public hearing for a permit for one of my employer's projects. During the hearing, the public had the opportunity to give testimony for / against our project. It was eye opening the number of people who adamantly believed that denying a permit for an oil & gas project will magically make alternative energy appear overnight. They're hookline and sinker buying the bullshit that people like Bloomberg is spewing.

Here is the 1943 version of The Prentis Cycle (often misattributed to Tytler or de Tocqueville):
quote:
From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more.
The American left is at the apathy stage, and have zero knowledge of how America became a super power. They're such lemmings that they're charging full speed ahead to dependency and bondage.

Meanwhile, the 3rd world is at the courage or liberty stage. Energy will make parents' dreams for their children come true and there is nothing some American white liberal is going to say to make them halt where they are as far as energy and economy. Imagine their reaction to being told that energy has to become more expensive and less plentiful for the "common good." Forget that! They want 24 hour per day reliable and inexpensive energy as it'll transform their life. I'm not just talking about economy, I'm talking about health as some of these poor countries have short lifespans because they're heating with dung, they have short lifespans due to lack of access to clean water, they have short lifespans because sick people go to hospitals without 24 hour per day electricity, etc.

The socioeconomic side of oil & gas is pretty inspiring. A country with a large natural gas discovery that can both export as LNG and power their own nation has the opportunity to make an astounding change in quality of life in one generation.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The people pushing this know full well that destroying energy production will have catastrophic consequences for everyone but the elitists behind it. They will be insulated from the obvious breakdown that will occur from crashing the grid, isolating huge population densities with dwindling food/resources, etc. I guarantee that if we peons can see it and figure it out, they are fully aware. They have the financial means to ride it out. It obviously has nothing to do with the “saving the planet” nonsense.

This. Read and understand none of the f’ery being promulgated has any good outcome for anyone but the fraction of a fraction of a percent of the very elite/rich. We are all supposed to be serfs again, and like it.

Posts: 530 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They want to strip the USA of coal plants, however, they don't say much about the 1039 planned new ones popping up in SE Asia, primarily China. Meantime, the USA is shipping coal, and undercutting Australia's coal prices, to send it over there. LOTS of it. https://archive.ph/lXwJj

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post