SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the ASUS router to go with these days???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the ASUS router to go with these days??? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
There's been a lot of good discussion of hardware above, but one thing missing when talking about real world internet speed, whether WiFi or wired, is 'latency'. You can have 1G download speed on your ISP modem, but if the sites you're hitting are encumbered and responding slowly, or the network capacity between you and the site you're using is being taxed, your 'actual' throughput is going to be slower. Latency is just another of the many factors that render advertised throughput speeds all but irrelevant.

Again, my vote would be to go with what you've got and wait and see how it works out.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Since you're our resident EnGenius genius Smile, riddle me this: My EAP1300 has the Wireless Mode selector grayed-out, so it's stuck on 802.11B/G/N. Why might that be? Only thing I can think of is one of the devices that are currently connected is limited to B or, more likely, G, so it won't let me change it?

It's not a problem, as either B or G are plenty enough for what's connected on 2.4GHz, but I'm curious.

What your encryption set to?

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

WPA2/PSK AES

I have to say, btw, that I like this AP much more than the Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro it replaced.

I'm particularly enamored of the separate Guest WiFi network capability. That's simply beautiful Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Forgot to mention I need 4 WAN ports that are gigabit capable you replace the N1D2 as the XBOX, TV, and Roku are also wired to it.

You need LAN ports.

Correct. Sorry, I missed that. Acronyms:

LAN: Local Area Network

Includes all locally-connected Ethernet clients and access points. This includes wired and wireless back-hauls to additional LAN switches and to APs.

AP: Access Point.

Provides WiFi connectivity only. Does not route. Bridges Ethernet to wireless.

WAN: Wide Area Network

Connections to other sites outside the LAN. E.g.: The Internet and (private) remote sites.

WLAN: Wireless Local Area Network

IOW: Your (local) WiFi network.

Yes, that should be LAN.

As you all can tell I have no clue what I am doing with this network stuff.
My head is spinning reading all this.

So here is what I have taken away from this thread.
I will keep my main WiFi router as is since it can handle the 500 mbps.
I am swapping out all my switches to Gigabit switches (the vast majority of my devices are wired).

I am going to add a gigabit switch to where my access point is so my home theater stuff will be able to use the 500 mbps.

I’ll just leave my access point in the basement as is.
Our iPhones are generally the only things it feeds.

The only other wireless devices are my doorbell camera, another security camera, and one Amazon FireTV but they pull off my main WiFi router.

I tested my current connection (wired) with the XBOX
and I got 69mbps down, 3.96mbps up. I know what those mean.
The other numbers are packet loss is at 0%, Latency is at 55ms, and 1480 MTU. I have no clue what any of that means and if it is good or bad.

Saturday the Fiber man comes so I’ll post some new numbers.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

WPA2/PSK AES

So here's the thing technically WPA2-CCMP (AES) was not available when "B" and "G" came out.
Therefore if the adaptors only support B or B/G then is unlikely that they can connect to the WPA2-Personal AES.

The security for B at the time was WEP and at the time G was WPA2-TKIP.
Many of the older Wi-Fi router/AP's would not let you deploy WPA2-AES for anything less than N.
If you used WEP or WPA2-TKIP it would limit your speed to 11mbs and 54mbs respectively (the limits of b and g ) to N.
Therefore in those cases or if you have recent devices/adaptors you should choose N only configure with WPA2-AES for maximum 2.4ghz performance.

I imagine the EnGenius AP's configure this automatically when you choose the security.

Technically it's not that b or g is not allowed so much as it is more like obsolete technology that is not needed to be updated.

A little convoluted of an answer but that is basically it, and I realize I didn't even give you a definitive answer on the EAP, sorry about that.

FWIW, Nothing now days is made with anything less than N (clients).

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So here's the thing technically WPA2-CCMP (AES) was not available when "B" and "G" came out.
[remainder elided in the interest of saving space]

Yeah, knew all that, but thanks nonetheless.

I still have no certain clue, but I'm beginning to suspect that if I adjust a couple config parameters, such as minimum data rate, that grayed-out "setting" will automagically change.

I'll try it when the AP isn't in active use and let you know.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have two Engenius APs. An older (3 years?) ENS1200, which is an outdoor AP, and a brand new EWS360AP. Both are set for encryption to WPA2/PSK AES.

On the older model, the drop down box for wireless mode is fully populated, not greyed out, with lots of choices. On the newer model, both frequencies are set and greyed out, 2.4GHz to 802.11 B/G/N, and 5GHz to 802.11 AC/N.

Go figure.

ETA, I just upgraded the firmware on the EWS360AP. The wireless mode is now not only not selectable (appears above the config panel, not in a drop down box, and not even greyed out), but it added to the 5GHz to make it 802.11 AC/N/A.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post