SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Caller ID Outs Young Professionals Still on Their Parents’ Phone Plan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caller ID Outs Young Professionals Still on Their Parents’ Phone Plan Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Heck, I am still on my father's name...

JPSauermonkey?

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Heck, I am still on my father's name...

JPSauermonkey?

I think he means the Celestial Monkey. (If you'll forgive the tangential blaspheme.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
+1 on being a money grab by phone companies.

As an FYI for the fellow w. An Aunt, I prepay my ATT bill once a year. Costs me $25 a month, for 8gb data a month.

(The attorney thing is why I have my number separate from my company/use NumberBarn for my company line)

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I screen all my calls as does anyone who owns a business. There are so many spam calls that I will not answer if I do not recognize the name (they can leave a message and I will call back). I would assume the screening was due to that, not to shame a millennial living in their parents basement.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another vote for providers trying to chase people off of more lucrative old accounts and onto less financially advantageous ones.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, my land line identifies me as the caller. However, almost 100% of incoming calls only show the city and state, and I don't generally know anyone who lives there. I also get a lot of "Unknown" "unavailable" "not available" "private" "wireless caller" and "potential spam" IDs. If I don't recognize the caller, I don't answer.

If you change what your phone identifies you as, make sure it's something the recipient will recognize.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
On my sons plan.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my mom on my plan to save her money. I have caller ID set to each of our names.

This whole thing is a nothing-sauce contrived story. I have never heard of anyone complaining about younger employee's caller ID.

You know why? Because no one under 30 makes phone calls anymore! It's all text. Voice calls are like, weird and awkward for them. Silly, I know but that's just how it is.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Hell, I forget which carrier it was, but one of them advertised up to six (or maybe more) lines available per account for family OR friends. You didn’t even have to be related - just grab your roommates or a bunch of random buddies and get together to pay something stupid cheap per line under one master account.

It’s idiotic the way the carriers have set up their pricing structures, but there’s no reason not to take advantage of it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s name shows up on mine because she has the patience to go to the local cell company store and deal with that. but I have had the same number since they allowed you to start transporting it among carriers.

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Gee, I’ve had a Verizon plan for years and for years every line has allowed you to customize the Caller ID info for whomever is using that phone.

Not exactly a secret, maybe these “young professionals” aren’t all that smart…

Must be a slow news day Roll Eyes

I didn't even think you have to do anything. I've never had to worry about that. I suppose on the plan, the number is just set up as another phone number reporting to the account holder.

As far as using your phone for the company, don't companies give you their own phones anyway? Even as a mid-level manager I was issued phones as it also had to be set up for the email and any other apps the company had. I've always had to forward calls to my personal phone to the company phone but it allowed me to just buy a cheap personal phone since I didn't use it any way.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use one cell number for my business. I am the only one on the accout and prefer it that wasy. I do not mix business with other activities. YMMV

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ I have a company issued iPhone because I have a global role and travelled internationally a lot prior to COVID.

Even though it's a big company it's not easy to get a phone authorized. Someone figured out that every new hire has a smart phone now, so they just let them authorize their own phones for company email and stuff. We get company discounts from the carriers too so that helps a little.

That's OK for domestic use, but international use can run up huge bills and they will not let us expense personal phone charges.

Previous company issued phones to everyone but that was pre-smart phone, just flip phones.

I don't know what caller ID shows up on that one. Probably "private caller". Don't really care either.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even though it's a big company it's not easy to get a phone authorized. Someone figured out that every new hire has a smart phone now, so they just let them authorize their own phones for company email and stuff. We get company discounts from the carriers too so that helps a little.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is the old saying, Penny wise and pound foolish. The local utility company issues company phones with the understanding that is for company business ONLY. It is a critical business particularly in times of disasters when comms are essential.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Hockey player who makes three million a year still on his Moms cell phone plan. LOL
Personally, I'd be embarrassed to still be on my parents' wireless plans once I'd achieved financial independence.

One of my best friends' kids are still on their plan, and at least two of them have been making good money in their own careers for years. Both own their own homes. One's been married for years, has two children, and lives on the other side of the country. The other is soon to be married.

I don't get it. Truly I do not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Personally, I'd be embarrassed to still be on my parents' wireless plans once I'd achieved financial independence.

One of my best friends' kids are still on their plan, and at least two of them have been making good money in their own careers for years. Both own their own homes. One's been married for years, has two children, and lives on the other side of the country. The other is soon to be married.

I don't get it. Truly I do not.

You don't get that it saves you money by going in together like that?

Who gives a shit what kind of career they have? Saving money is saving money Roll Eyes

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You don't get that it saves you money by going in together like that?

Who gives a shit what kind of career they have? Saving money is saving money Roll Eyes

Exactly, we have her mom on our plan and have offered that same deal to mine although she didn't want to go that route, but that's the way it worked out. I wouldn't be upset at all to be on someone elses' plan.

I'm very much financially independent, but I'm also smart enough to find ways to avoid over paying for a service. The money saved goes into my investment account. Even small amounts compounded over a reasonably long period of time add up to significant extra money down the road.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post