SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump economy and your 401k - What did you earn?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump economy and your 401k - What did you earn? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
I earned slightly less than the market due to diversification. Came in at 26.9% for 2019, not too shabby. I am sure many did even better.

Question:
What return did you earn for 2019 (401k only, no individual stocks, or other investments, unless held in your 401k)?

Choices:
<10%
10-15%
16-20%
21-25%
26-30%
31-35%
Over 35%

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
because I was putting money in all year and it was making money for the time it was in, which varied depending on the time of year it was put in, I can't easily calculate it.

But I have more now than last year, and I'm happy.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10942 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
because I was putting money in all year and it was making money for the time it was in, which varied depending on the time of year it was put in, I can't easily calculate it.

But I have more now than last year, and I'm happy.

I'm just going with the number shown on my annual report. It's just a weighted average of the return for the funds that you are in. I don't think it accounts for timing unless maybe you started contributing to a new fund mid year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Self directed IRA invested 80% stock (27 stocks) and the balance cash. I subscribe to a number of Motley Fool services that cost very little compared to standard advisors. I’m a happy camper at ~30% last year.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 457B did 35.6%.

Posts: 852 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
My tsp account (401k for federal employees) made 30.49%. I’m quite pleased with the Trump economy!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The D-train has increased my retirement accounts by 25% this year.

I lost large sums of money under Obama and, at the best of times, maybe got 10%, but more like single digits, if not a loss.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
An amazing year; what's not to like?
Smile

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24188 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 401a (401k for public sector employees) had the annual average of 30.8%. My 457 was in the high 20’s. Don’t remember off hand.

Posts: 4069 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was around 26% if I remember correctly. Under Trump my retirement 401K through work has gained back everything I lost during the last resident and then some. I was losing so much money under Obama I didn't think I'd have an account left by the time he got out of office.

Just a week or so ago I saw an article that claims under Obama the market was one of the best ever and under Trump it is one of the weakest. For some reason I think it was a fictional piece.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
up 32.29% in my work 403b plan for the year. It's a 401k but for not-for-profit orgs.

Posts: 218 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
solid percentage

but to be fair 2018 was pretty flat and DEC 2018 was really bad.

So the 'up' for 2019 was coming off a pretty bad Dec. 2018.

"For the quarter, the S&P 500 and Dow plunged 13.97 and 11.8 percent, respectively, their worst performances since 2011. The Nasdaq plunged 17.5 percent in the period, its biggest quarterly fall since 2008.

A sizable chunk of this quarter’s losses came during a violent December. The indexes all dropped at least 8.7 percent for the month. The Dow and S&P 500 also recorded their worst December performance since 1931 and their biggest monthly loss since February 2009."

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're quite conservatively invested. As such: We're seeing ±13%, year-to-year, almost regardless of what the market does. Those gains slightly outstrip our disbursements, and that's just fine by us.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a good year, my return was over 35%.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My 401k. I'd say 2019 was a good year...

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
solid percentage

but to be fair 2018 was pretty flat and DEC 2018 was really bad.

So the 'up' for 2019 was coming off a pretty bad Dec. 2018.

"For the quarter, the S&P 500 and Dow plunged 13.97 and 11.8 percent, respectively, their worst performances since 2011. The Nasdaq plunged 17.5 percent in the period, its biggest quarterly fall since 2008.

A sizable chunk of this quarter’s losses came during a violent December. The indexes all dropped at least 8.7 percent for the month. The Dow and S&P 500 also recorded their worst December performance since 1931 and their biggest monthly loss since February 2009."

-------------------------------------

My 2018 was up 17.39%, and yes, december 2018 was ugly. 2017 was negative, no matter how hard I tried to manage things, still lost more than 7%.

Posts: 218 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Time to rebalance to your risk tolerance.....

I did 23% because I rebalance regularly and I am a little risk averse.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Got IRA annual statement, from old job. No % Return listed, but I have a calculator, net of fees just under 28%.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
My 401k is at about 26% gains... but most of my money is in rollover IRAs from previous 401ks. There I'm up about 80% over the last 3-4 years, coming close to doubling it. The last year was a good 25%.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm retired, but I took a partial lump sum payout on my pension & put it in a conservative risk investment account. This past year was up 21.8%

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post