SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting article on the current ammo shortage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting article on the current ammo shortage Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
A main take away...6.2M new firearms owners...

https://www.americanrifleman.o...-last-deep-into-2021

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In the long run, this is excellent news, particularly the entrance of women and people of color more deeply into firearms ownership and use.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Now, if only all gun owners—both the new and the old—would learn to vote like gun owners.

Not likely, though. Frown

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Now, if only all gun owners—both the new and the old—would learn to vote like gun owners.

Not likely, though. Frown

Many of these folks who rushed out to finally buy their first gun as an emotional reaction to fear/uncertainty in their world are likely to also vote based on emotional reactions.

Liberalism is more grounded in emotions. Conservativism is more grounded in reason.

And the sad truth is that gun rights is often not a top factor in political decisions, even among many gun owners and otherwise conservative voters.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is this really new owners? How reliable is that stat?

And this may not be all positive - wonder what percentage of these purchases are antifa prepping for clashes with free america?

I know that the military stockpiles. But if there was a war, could US ammo manufacturing keep up with demands (not just to military) or are there concerns here?

Next time around when supply is ample (if ever), should we personally stockpile not just for range, competitions, SD but for potential war? Perhaps that's already the norm?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I did an inventory and rearranging of my ammo last summer and thought I was in pretty good shape. Now I wish I'd bought more. Frown

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
In the long run, this is excellent news, particularly the entrance of women and people of color more deeply into firearms ownership and use.

I am hopeful as well.
As these newbies learn... they will come to know that firearms ownership is both a right and an incredible responsibility. Rights and responsibilities go together. That's something many have not been taught at home by good parents.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
As these newbies learn... they will come to know that firearms ownership is both a right and an incredible responsibility. Rights and responsibilities go together. That's something many have not been taught at home by good parents.

I'm concerned that the newbies are a good mix of antifa who are arming themselves to mount a stronger offensive against free america. Please tell me I'm wrong.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ You're not wrong. I'm sure there's a good mix of antifa in there as well.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Please tell me I'm wrong.

Here is my prediction: Unless a pony really does show up by the tree within the next 34 days, the whole Antifa thing will quickly fade away because there will be no more reason for the monied Left to keep it going.

Could I be wrong? Of course, but that prediction can be no more wrong than innumerable others I’ve seen here, and I at least have reasons to believe I’m right other than faith based on wishes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So I leave disappointed. The authors who wrote the link and the other links provided should be writing for women's mags or even teen girls. Gawd how short and shallow. So I did my normal procedure and followed all the links and left cold. Fairly good information if all true, but no depth at all. This from a subject I'm really interested in and kind of well versed. That means I read everything I find and don't believe it all.

Also interesting because I keep a substantial amount of ballast downstairs. No, not just ammo but nearly all AR issues from the 1940s onward and a fair number from the 1930s. Yeah, I'm kind of a fanatic on the subject of gun stuff. Not a big surprise at the information offered, but some of it new to me. Its why I read.

And it brings me back to one of our "road trips" from the last century. For whatever reason, shooters seem to find each other and become even better friends. This one from a Jeep club we belong to and it was holding a big function. So given the choice we had "needs" (no, not sex but ammo). So we split the families up, with the wives and most kids going to the club grounds and daddies and only one of my sons heading south.

We'd planned an ammo run for a while and kids Christmas games only a fool would pass up a gun show for. So Charlies big ole Impala was stuffed. But as often happens we ran out of money and ammo to buy. Yeah, we're a big part of the ammo shortage they've been talking about and have been for a long time. We got back to the club grounds mid afternoon, having spent mostly all the cash we took along. That and having run out of ammo to buy at a good price. These were the early Klinton years and the Kommie bastard and his wife had started my first real ammo hoarding exercise.

If I had any common sense, I'd have learned. But this is ammo we're talking about and Maybe I'm not a quick learner. Some of it still exists in the ammo vault. Yeah, I've got one of those with 6" concrete walls, earth on the outside. Big Grin More heavily armored than the outside is the fool guarding it. Built it 10+ years ago, and moving in was painful. So back to the story. We got back from Louisville to meet up with the wives and kids. A good friend and not really recognized as a shooter asked us where we'd been.

Not being on our guard, we just told him to a gun show to buy ammo. He laughed and said he's well stocked. Remember, he's a hunter not so much a shooter. He said he's probably got 500 rounds if you include 22s. The nearest buddy nudged me to keep quiet. Because if I don't have 500 rounds per caliber I'm feeling insecure. But I'm not the cause of the ammo shortage because Its been that way for well over 30 years now.

It even comes to mind that if the anti gun nuts wanted to cause us even more pain, they just put the ammo companies out of business. Remember, the Constitution doesn't mention ammo, and none of the courts has connected the dots. Yet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:......
I know that the military stockpiles. But if there was a war, could US ammo manufacturing keep up with demands (not just to military) or are there concerns here?

Next time around when supply is ample (if ever), should we personally stockpile not just for range, competitions, SD but for potential war? Perhaps that's already the norm?

I don’t know what the current military stockpile of small arms munitions is. Does anyone know? I would certainly hope that the powers that be have figured out how many millions of arms are necessary in a theoretical war. I would imagine that the number is significantly higher than that consumed in WW2 due to the advent of automatic weapons. I remember reading an article several years ago about the number of rounds spent per enemy killed in wars since WW2 and as you might imagine the numbers increased in each conflict.

As far as stockpiling ammo for a potential future conflict that may be a conversation better had in private not necessarily on a public forum. However, I will say that weight will quickly become an issue if you hope to be at all mobile. My son is due back stateside from a short deployment and I will ask him how much he takes on his missions but I would guess it’s probably just a few hundred...and many here on this forum, I would bet, have considerably more than that!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your concerns aren’t really based in reality. Have some antifa types bought a gun? Sure. Did they join a range, buy ammo, get some training? Doubtful in any real sense for any of those.

As for arming for war. Sorry to you preppier types but you aren’t going to be able to use your arsenals. If you truly need thousands of rounds to survive, you won’t. Not without support.

So, my opinion, buy enough that you can enjoy your hobby and survive a short term event. That’s about it.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Please tell me I'm wrong.

Here is my prediction: Unless a pony really does show up by the tree within the next month, the whole Antifa thing will quickly fade away because there will be no more reason for the monied Left to keep it going.

Could I be wrong? Of course, but that prediction can be no more wrong than innumerable others I’ve seen here, and I at least have reasons to believe I’m right other than wish-based faith.

I'm right in there with your thinking. 'They' have now served their purpose and maintenance funding, energies and monies, from The Masters' POV can better be spent on other nefarious doings. And they have the ability to call-up and regroup these peoples quickly if needed.
And perhaps, having served their purpose, the Masters now want to distance themselves from those they created. Optics.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps that's already the norm?

So did this just come to you? If its not too scary to do, share with us the total. Better still, maybe the number of years its been climbing.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I think your concerns aren’t really based in reality. Have some antifa types bought a gun? Sure. Did they join a range, buy ammo, get some training? Doubtful in any real sense for any of those.

As for arming for war. Sorry to you preppier types but you aren’t going to be able to use your arsenals. If you truly need thousands of rounds to survive, you won’t. Not without support.

So, my opinion, buy enough that you can enjoy your hobby and survive a short term event. That’s about it.

Foolish boy. What appears in your eyes as too much, isn't.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
^^^ You're not wrong. I'm sure there's a good mix of antifa in there as well.

With a lack of range-time, they are the least of the bunch to worry about.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8369 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I did an inventory and rearranging of my ammo last summer and thought I was in pretty good shape. Now I wish I'd bought more. Frown

I’m with you. In reviewing my PSA orders, saw I had last purchased 1000 rounds CCI 9mm for $169 in late 2019. I have a good supply, but should have tripled or more my order...that same 1000 rounds is going for $600+ today. insane and I’m not buying

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Antifa is a tiny slice of America, folks, and a large percentage of them are felons. IF they are buying guns they're buying them on the street, not your LGS.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m with you. In reviewing my PSA orders, saw I had last purchased 1000 rounds CCI 9mm for $169 in late 2019. I have a good supply, but should have tripled or more my order...that same 1000 rounds is going for $600+ today. insane and I’m not buying

This is where I am. I probably have 3k rounds of 9mm, and wish that I had more, but there's no way in hell I'm paying $600/case for it. Same with 5.56. Have thousands of rounds of it, but it's still not enough.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post