SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tornado temple tx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tornado temple tx Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
We had a tornado a few days ago, my neighborhood got it. We lost some shingles and one side of the roof leaked. No power for 2 days. No internet. Got out of the neighborhood today and got some stuff to fix for the fences. And tarp neighbors houses.

Our tornado didn’t set down just ran abouv houses ripping up trees and roofs. A nearby one destroyed Walmart and some restaurants and my dentist.

I’m on the side of the road sending this from my phone. We’re OK.

Now we will see how good my insurance really is.

I’m f I don’t respond back it’s cause the net is down still.

Ps having a genset is thebomb

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you and your family are ok, right now it's about protecting your area, helping neighbors and surviving the post Tornado period.

Posts: 23731 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Not good. Glad you are ok and your neighbors too.

Wish you the best in getting things fixed.

What is the genset?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19346 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Genset = Generator

The term genset is an abbreviation of generator set, which refers to a generator and engine combination, and provides power used to run other equipment.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are okay, I saw some of the damage off Adams online. I am in Gatesville and we got the same storm but possible smaller tornado was just south of town and into Ft Hood. I thought we had it bad only losing power for about 12 hours.

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Mike, if you end up being happy with insurance please let us know who you have. I am in Austin and have had State Farm for 36 years. They have been good for vehicle insurance but suck for home insurance. I am grandfathered in as they will no longer insure homes in Texas. They have refused so many home storm claims while I see everyone else around me get their roof replaced. I am seriously considering changing home insurance.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8702 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ we use TX Farm Bureau for cars and house.

I saw a roofer across the street today, he had a uniform and a labeled work truck. So I went over and spoke to him, he agreed to show me what they look at and what my adjuster should be telling me. Spent 30 minutes educating me. Once he showed me what hail damage looks like I could see it all over the roof.

Even pointed out how a 10x10 area on the south side had at least 10 damaged spots-the N & W slopes too most of the damage. He said that the 10 in 10 sq foot is the standard. And I should get a new roof.

Told him I would see my adjuster on Tuesday. This guy said he’d like to be there ( I haven’t hired him or agreed to anything).

Once I hear how the process goes with the insurance guy, I assume I will be able to get quotes and agree to any roofer.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Cause none of y’all have ever seen a tornado.

My place is about a mile from the left side of that beastie. (The pic was from about 3 miles away)

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear Mike. This is one main reason why I bought land out of state and want to get out of here. Tired of it. I hope your homeowners policy takes care of you. They should for what we are having to pay for it these days. Mine is now $4k per year.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12735 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ Mrs. Mike is gainfully employed here in Temple and unless we win the lottery, we are probably here until she retires.

I’d like to move back to western NC or E Tn. if I had my choice

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^ Mrs. Mike is gainfully employed here in Temple and unless we win the lottery, we are probably here until she retires.

I’d like to move back to western NC or E Tn. if I had my choice

I’m in the same boat. Can’t move yet. Need plenty of $ to get my metal building built and even then, getting remote work status at work is like walking a tightrope. I don’t care. I’m like the Smith in the Matrix “I must get free”. My rural land = no tornadoes. And between homeowners insurance and property taxes I’ll be paying 1/4 of what I pay now. They have state income tax there, but even with that it’s still cheaper than here. Tired of the severe weather storms. Tornadoes, the hail, and real tired of the heat and humidity. From now until late September it’s Satan’s ass hole hot. You start sweating from a brick and mortar to your vehicle.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12735 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So the adjuster showed up last week. Before he even got onto the roof he said, “yeah you need a new roof”. He did the 10x10’ on each side of the roof. He said he had to to prove to someone in an office that it was really damaged. He took photos of the plants, windows, fence(I had already fixed) and my truck.

One window spidered, and one side of the truck dented. Plus today I saw there is a crack in the rear brake light assy.

Roofer dude showed up Friday(different company). He said he’d take care of it all and they can get to us by the 21st-maybe earlier. I chose the local company that is doing the neighbors roof.